Newbie** How To Get Red Mmf Fondant And Buttercream??

Decorating By CookiezNCupcakez Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 7:32pm by tracycakes

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 8

I was told for black to use cocoa powder then black .... I hope that works! But for red I'm hearing its very hard to get....Help plz I need a nice christmas red....I have wilton paste colours do I really need to use a whole bottle?? icon_sad.gif

7 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 8

One trick I learned was to use orange first, then add the red. You won't have to use as much. The red color will also intensify if you let it set it for a few hours before using it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, you can use pink, yellow or orange as a base color for red.
If you can use flavored icing add about 1/4 teaspoon UNsweetened red KoolAid powdericon_smile.gif I prefere black cherry;others say strawberry. This *must* be mixed at least the night before wanting to use. (In fact anytime you want a dark color it should be mixed hours ahead.) The color will continue to darken over that time. After adding KoolAid, the next day when you look at it it might be all speckled. Never fear!icon_smile.gif Just stir it up good and it will be fine.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 1:57am
post #4 of 8

U ladies r soooo very helpful!!! Thanks a bunch icon_smile.gif one more lil' question...when applying colour do I add it when mixing the fondant or can I use a tooth pick later to add colour when fondant is ready?? Does this go for koolaid too?? can I knead the koolaid into the fondant?? Thanks again!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:37am
post #5 of 8

I've never added KoolAid to fondant.....just to b'cream. Not exactly sure how it will work w/fondant.
As for applying color it can be done either way......in the liquid/recipe or later as you knead it.

atlantacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atlantacake Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 8

I made a red present cake last week and used Wilton Christmas Red with no problem.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 8

If you want red instantly with no waiting or bitter taste use chefmaster liqua gel colors. It takes very little and the colors are intense. Same goes for black and no need to use chocolate icing. I buy it locally but you can find it online.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 8

I like using Americolor for red and black. It will take quite of bit of color but it doesn't give it a bad taste. Make sure it sits overnight to allow the color to deepen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%