Very Dark Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By hettrk6 Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 2:03am by TexasSugar

hettrk6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hettrk6 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 5

I am desperate for a very dark chocolate buttercream recipe. I have a bride that wants it extremely dark brown. Any ideas?

4 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 5

I'd just add brown food coloring to my favorite chocolate buttercream recipe! Might be considered cheating, but gets the job done....

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:46am
post #3 of 5

I am confused, does she want the taste of dark chocolate, or does she just want a very dark brown?

For a dark brown color, just add brown food coloring until its the right color.

For the ultimate dark chocolate BC, I buy the Hersheys Special Dark chocolate bars, melt them and add to my BC icing. I also add some cocoa powder. I do add quite a bit of the chocolate, like 1-2 bars.

Do make sure that she wants the dark chocolate flavor though, I LOVE dark chocolate, and actually dislike milk chocolate. Dark chocolate has a distinctive bitter taste that you either LOVE or HATE. Good Luck!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:56am
post #4 of 5

For a truely dark chocolate flavor you should use ganache.. no chocolate buttercream can compete with the chocolate flavor of ganache. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:03am
post #5 of 5

I love using Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa. Great chocolate taste and rich dark brown color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%