Football Helmet Cake!

Decorating By VannaD Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 5:21am by turtle3264

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys! If youve read any of my post lately you know im making a massive football cake. I have to make a helmet and was looking for some tips. I know how im going to do the cake itself, but im not sure about the face guard thing. I know ill use gumpaste but i could use some tips as to how to do it. How to get the shape, how soon to put on the cake, and anything else you guys can offer.
Thank You,
Vanna

2 replies
VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 1:17am
post #2 of 3

ive seen some really great helmets, i would love some tips. Thanks

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 5:21am
post #3 of 3

Hi, I did 2 football helmets recently. The first one was for my husband's birthday. I twisted wire together to make the shape of the face guard. I piped buttercream over it pretty thick. For the second one, I shaped the wire again and shaped mmf around the wire. I put mmf on the ends of the wire that was sticking into the cake too. Just to be sure that no wire was actually touching the cake. I put the face guard on the night before the cake was due. I haven't worked with gumpaste very much. I did lay the mmf covered wire on a round cake pan that was turned on its side to help it keep its shape while it was drying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%