Shimmers

Decorating By Beth02 Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm by MacsMom

Beth02 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering how people were making cake accents (bows, flowers, leaves, etc) and sometimes the whole cake shimmery. I have the Wilton shimmers but have only tried using them once to brush on the tips of the fantasy flower when I was taking course 4. I haven't used them again because it didn't look the way I wanted.

How are you ladies getting them so totally shimmery? Are you using a special product? How are you applying it? Any advice would be great. With the holidays coming up I would love to try more with silvers and shiny reds/greens.

Thanks!!!

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 7

You need luster dustsicon_smile.gif Some use disco dust but from all I have read it is finely ground pieces of plasticicon_sad.gif

Beth02 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! So to apply it do you brush it on after you have completed the accent/cake or do you mix it into the fondant/gum paste?

kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:58am
post #4 of 7

Do not mix it in! Definately dry brush it on after the piece is done and ready to place on the cake.

TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 4:39am
post #5 of 7

If you do not have a cake supply store around you or want to play around before order, you can get Wilton Pearl dusts. They come in 8 different colors (I think) and are FDA approved.

sweetcakesva Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 7

what do you use to apply it? do you have to make it wet?

MacsMom Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 7

Pearl dusts and Luster dusts have the best "shine" and go on the smoothest (both dry and mixed with vodka).

I actually prefer to dry brush it on with one of those cheap sponge brushes. But in many cases I have to paint it on by mixing it with vodka because I need to put it on an isolated area. If I dry-brushed it the excess would fall on part of the cake I don't want it.

Sparkle dusts, disco dusts and glitter dusts and more coarse and are probably meant to be sprinkled on a moist surface. (Perhaps brush the surface with lemon extract and then sprinkle it on).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%