Selling...

Baking By lkoenig07 Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 12:48pm by TracyLH

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, so sometime soon I plan to open a home bakery. I was telling my husband about selling cookies and he said he doesn't think they would sell. SO, I'd like to know, for those of you that sell your stuff... how many of you have actually made a profit on your cookies (mainly sugar cookies) & cookie bouquets???

10 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 11

Hello,
I am a recently licensed home baker (tiny kitchen icon_rolleyes.gif ).
I'm not sure if this helps, but I was told (in another thread) that dropping off cookie samples at different businesses (with your card, etc) can really generate customers. I haven't tried this yet, but some of the people on here swear by it. You don't need to talk or "sell" your cookies, just drop them off and go. This would be a great time of year to start. (corporate gifts, etc.)
I am about to drop off some samples to my Chiropractor, dentist, and some other small businesses I know... (I'm not brave enough yet to do complete stranger walk-ins) icon_cool.gif

I haven't looked at your photos yet (about to) but I bet they are great.

good luck and keep us updated!! icon_smile.gif

lkoenig07 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks so much! I haven't tried the cookies yet, but I really would like to.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 11

Is there a Cookies by Design close to you? If so, point this out to your husband with a big "TOLD you cookies sell!" icon_twisted.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 11

Indydebi is right!! Get out there and start dropping off samples and I bet you will be booked in no time for Christmas.Alot of people get so overwhelmed at the holidays they find it refreshing and comforting when they can find someone to bake fresh homemade cookies.squares etc....because they just don't have the time!! Good luck on your venture!!

lkoenig07 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks guys!! That's what I figured; guess I'll just have to prove him wrong!!! icon_biggrin.gif He's usually so supportive (and I'm sure he will be if I start getting orders)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:25am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoenig07

Thanks guys!! That's what I figured; guess I'll just have to prove him wrong!!! icon_biggrin.gif He's usually so supportive (and I'm sure he will be if I start getting orders)

Yeah ... it's AMAZING how supportive they are when the profits start rolling in! icon_rolleyes.gif

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:31am
post #8 of 11

lkoenig07
Some of it will depend on where you live. City or rural. I'm rural and business doesn't do very well here. Plus I'm terrible at marketing myself.
Good luck

toleshed Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:32am
post #9 of 11

lkoenig07
Some of it will depend on where you live. City or rural. I'm rural and business doesn't do very well here. Plus I'm terrible at marketing myself.
Good luck

toleshed Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:32am
post #10 of 11

lkoenig07
Good luck

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:48pm
post #11 of 11

Here is just a little thought. I have kids and when the school had a fundraiser, I made cookies for the sixth graders to sell at their bake sale that night. I talked to the lead person before and we agreed on a set price they would be sold for. I had donated them, but did not wish them to be marked horridly low so that people would think that is what they would actually sell for. They were a hit and I got orders from those original cookies. Same idea with the swim team concession stand. Yes, I donated them, but it helped get the word out in the neighborhood which turned out well. Great idea to drop them off at the dentist, etc. It is just a matter of getting the word out. Best of luck to you! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%