Sugar "ice Cubes"

Decorating By elzabthswrd Updated 18 Nov 2008 , 11:47pm by glendaleAZ

elzabthswrd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elzabthswrd Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 2

Does anyone know how to make decorative ice cubes out of sugar? I'm making a bucket of beer cake for my brother's 21st. I've seen them made with gelatin, but wondered if anyone knew how to make them out of sugar. Thanks for you help!

1 reply
glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 2

Hi elzabthswrd,

I've been watching to see if you got a reply on this post. Maybe people are still having a problem getting on the site - I still can't get on the recipe site.

Anyway, I found two Hard Candy recipes here on CC (I don't remember who posted them) and saved them on my computer to be tested later. I was going to pour the candy into ice cube trays lined with powdered sugar.

Tammy

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
3/4 cup light corn syrup (clear kind only)
1/2 teaspoon candy oil, if the windows will be eaten.
Food coloring if looking for a different color than clear

Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in heavy 2 quart saucepan.

Cook, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved; then lower heat and boil without stirring until the candy thermometer reads 300F.

I set my electronic thermometer at 288 and watch it come up (no distractions).

If sugar crystals form on sides of pan wipe off using a wet paper towel. Remove form heat, add coloring and oil flavoring, if needed.

It you pour on a siltpat and are just making a large square you might get away with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. white corn syrup
1/2 c. water
Various extractions
Food colors

Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in saucepan. Cook over medium heat (do not stir until candy reaches hard crack stage, 300 degrees). Remove from heat and add extracts and coloring quickly. Pour into prepared pan or pans and cover with powdered sugar. When candy is cool enough to handle, quickly cut into very small pieces with scissors. Store in covered containers.
Extracts: Amount used depends upon whether you use oils, concentrates or extracts. Oils make the best candy but are not available in all flavors. If oils are used, use less than 1 teaspoon per batch of candy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%