Advice On When You Screw Up-A Little-And Don't Hear Back!

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 9:55pm by cakelady15

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 15

Through word-of-mouth, I have started to make cakes for people I don't know. Up until this incident, after the cake recipient has eaten the cake, I hear back from them/our mutual friend that they raved about both the taste and how it looked. I have plenty of repeat customers so I'm guessing everything is OK.

My latest cake was a 2 tiered farm themed cake for a 2 year olds birthday. When I went to set up the cake and put on the border, I realized I forgot my grass tip! The only other thing I had was a bag and a spatula! I did my best with the border, but it ended up looking like sod, not grass!!
I explained the situation and apologized to her. While I was touching up the cake, she said 'I know that bothers you, but it looks fine to us'.

I got home and the next day my careless mistake still was bothering me. I sent her a very short e-mail saying 'I hope they had a wonderful party....sorry about the border....10% off your next order....thanks'

Luckily, this is the first time this has happened to me. What do you do in this situation? It has been 2 days and she has not responded to my e-mail. The cake and figures are in my photos--I charged her $85 for that cake, a matching cupcake w/a fondant pig on it and delivery (not very far).

14 replies
CreationsByCaryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsByCaryl Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 15

I think you jumped the gun and are too critical of your own work.

She outright said, " I know it bothers you, but it's fine"
Paraphrasing there.

She was fine with it. Let it go.

korensmommy Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks, I'll let my husband know he can say 'I told you so!'. He always says I'm much more critical then the people receiving the cakes.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 15

My husband says the same thing.
I wouldn't worry about the response yet....if the customer is like a lot of people then she may not have even seen the email yet.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 15

I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike

korensmommy Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 1:48am
post #6 of 15

Thanks again everyone! Off to make 2 more cakes this week!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 15

NEVER EVER EVER point out your mistakes to the customer... EVER!! And definitely do not volunteer a discount when they haven't even complained. Nothing you can do about it this time, but you live and you learn.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 15

What do I do in that situton? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Problem happened and you fixed it on the fly. Done.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 12:46am
post #9 of 15

Sometimes you just have to move on. I've been there recently.

I actually had a customer tell me that he didn't like my decorated sugar cookies. I use the NFSC recipe and in my 2 years of baking them, this was the first time someone has told me thay didn't like it.

I offered to make him another dozen free and if he didn't like the second batch then oh well, he just doesn't have the same taste buds as others. icon_biggrin.gif

Don't let it worry you. There will be plenty more mistakes and unhappy customers. It's part of the business!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 23 Nov 2008 , 1:31am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

NEVER EVER EVER point out your mistakes to the customer... EVER!! And definitely do not volunteer a discount when they haven't even complained. Nothing you can do about it this time, but you live and you learn.

Ditto.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:51am
post #11 of 15

When you have a certain picture in your head of how you think your cake should look, it's always a little disappointing when the real thing doesn't fit the image. However, the customer doesn't necessarily have a pre-conceived idea about how it's supposed to look (particularly for details like borders). Go easy on yourself!

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

VERY VALID POINT. WE ARE ALWAYS MORE CRITICAL OF OUR OWN WORK, IT IS WHAT IT IS, A LESSON LEARNED.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 15

I agree with Pinkziab.......Do not ever point out your mistakes or offer a discount if a complaint is not made....It makes you look incompetent! icon_wink.gif The custmer loved it and really...most people have no idea it is a mistake or even what to look for in a mistake so chin up!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:41pm
post #14 of 15

I think that we see our mistakes but the customer doesnt, sometimes my cakes dont turn out like i want them to but the customer loves them,

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 15

I just had to respond to this one. I just opened my business in July so a lot of my orders are still just from people that I know so I get really excited when someone I don't know orders a cake from me. I had a woman order a cake from through my website and she sent me a picture that she wanted on the cake. I made the cake and it was the most horrifying cake I had ever made. I was embarrased to even give it to her and I didn't even take a picture because I thought it was so ugly. I didn't say anything to her about it though and a couple of days later I got an e-mail from her. I was terrified to open it because I just knew she was complaining about how ugly the cake was. The e-mail said everyone loved the cake, it was beautiful, and it tasted great. She said they will be ordering all of their cakes from me now. So my long story is really just to say never point out your flaws because your customers have no idea and they will love it anyways. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%