Belly Cake Baking Question

Decorating By bizatchgirl Updated 30 Nov 2008 , 7:41pm by bizatchgirl

bizatchgirl Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 1:08am
post #1 of 4

When you use a large metal mixing bowl to bake the belly, what do you use to help ensure even cooking? It's a big bowl! I have visions of cake burned on the outside and still raw on the inside. Also, what baking time and temp do you recommend?

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 2:59am
post #2 of 4

1) Wrap a wet towel around the bowl, then wrap that in foil.
2) lower oven temp to 325; bake until center is done which you will know when you smell it. Depending on how much batter you use it could take from 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.
3) Put a flower nail in the bottom of the bowl; stem (nail parts) should stick up; flat part flat on bottom of bowl) carefully pour in batter so as not to dislodge nail.
4)place another flower nail w/nail part in batter; flat part on top of batter in the center of the batter.

bizatchgirl Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:03am
post #3 of 4

Thanks! Great tips. I never would have thought of doing a cake nail upside down on top of the batter! I wondered what to do since the flower nail is so short, I can't see it doing a lot for such a deep cake. Now I can start baking!

bizatchgirl Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 4

The mixing bowl, flower nails, and wet towel didn't do the trick for me. Part of the blame goes straight to my oven which I know is not keeping the right temperature. Part goes to my batter. It apparently wasn't thick enough and the flower nail that was supposed to be resting on top fell into the batter, making a very pretty star pattern. I was going to still cook and serve it (since I was cutting the cake, I could make sure I found that flower nail!). But after 1 1/2 hours, it was well done on the outside and rare on the inside icon_cry.gif

After stubbornly trying one more time, and losing another double batch of batter, I listened to advice and baked it with a small oval pan with a half ball pan on top and carved a little. It serves a lot fewer people but that worked out in this case!

Now time to buy some heating cores.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%