Mirrors For Cake Boards???

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 28 Nov 2008 , 5:51am by morgnscakes

tonimarie Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:30am
post #1 of 18

Has anyone here used a mirror as a cake board. Obviously it would have to have a bevelled edge so it wasn't sharp to pick up. I just thought for some cakes it would be a really neat idea and was wondering if anyone out there has done it has advice icon_rolleyes.gif

17 replies
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:54am
post #2 of 18

still put the cake on a cardboard ..... you don't want to cut the cake directly on the glass.

mrsddh2 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

Has anyone here used a mirror as a cake board. Obviously it would have to have a bevelled edge so it wasn't sharp to pick up. I just thought for some cakes it would be a really neat idea and was wondering if anyone out there has done it has advice icon_rolleyes.gif

Yup! I have. My husband works in the glass and mirror business. I made a cake was 2 11x18s side by side with a birdhouse cake on top for a 60th birthday party for a church group. Looked really nice. I cute the cake right on the mirror no problems.

terrylee Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:48am
post #4 of 18

I use mirrors too...I prefer a thicker mirror and they are so pricey so I always put a board directly under the cake ...saves on scratches.

tracey1970 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:52am
post #5 of 18

Wow - what a great idea. I've honestly never thought of this before. Something new to try!

Janette Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:13am
post #6 of 18

Sounds like something I would like to try. Thanks for sharing.

bizatchgirl Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:28am
post #7 of 18

Thanks for sharing! They have mirrored tiles, with beveled edges, at Hobby Lobby. I already bought one and I'm just waiting for a chance to try. It feels kind of thin so I was planning maybe to use some adhesive and attach a foam board or styrofoam underneath it to give it a little more stability, then run a ribbon around the edge.

icer101 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:28am
post #8 of 18

i have my cake on the cake board..... then place it on the mirror... then put greenery around mirror....or greenery and flowers that match flowers on cake,etc....

Cookie4 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:34am
post #9 of 18

I use mirrors all the time and love them. They make a beautiful presentation and a lasting part of the the gift. I teach at several Hobby Lobbies and there are always 40% off coupons for these so they sometimes are less expensive than the thick cake boards. I love the square ones and hex shape especially. Everyone that I present a cake to loves the fact that the mirror is able to be used as a base for candles after the cake is consumed.

cakedout Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:39am
post #10 of 18

I love mirrors as well! I have 2 mirrored cake stands, I also had 2 large circles made from a mirrored plexiglass-type material. It's thinner and lighter than glass-and won't break! thumbs_up.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:57am
post #11 of 18

Cookie4, the hexagon is exactly the one that I have! It's so pretty. I just haven't made the right cake for it yet. Maybe I'll use it for the groom's shower cake I'm doing next week.

jenlg Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:06am
post #12 of 18

I was actually looking at precut round mirrors in a local craft store...unfortunately they were very thin. Great idea though.

tonimarie Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:30pm
post #13 of 18

Thanks for all the input. For some reason I'm not getting an email when new posts are added, so I was soo surprised when I checked "my posts" and there were so many! I can't wait to try this idea icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 22 Nov 2008 , 10:32pm
post #14 of 18

Haven't taken your ServSafe yet have ya?

Mike

cakedout Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm
post #15 of 18

Mike...not sure what that comment is supposed to mean? icon_confused.gif

As posted earlier, I believe all of us (at least I hope so) have our cakes on cake boards first, then place the cake on the mirror or mirrored stand.

Mike1394 Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 12:58am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

Mike...not sure what that comment is supposed to mean? icon_confused.gif

As posted earlier, I believe all of us (at least I hope so) have our cakes on cake boards first, then place the cake on the mirror or mirrored stand.

Thanks for pointing it out. Frankly neither do I. I don't know where my head was at the time. Well, I do, BUT LOLOL Sorry if anyone took this the wrong way. Not a clue on my part.

Mike

Denise Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 8:33pm
post #17 of 18

my friend Edna puts them on thick mirrors (cake boards first!) and it is gorgeous. I love how she does cake!

morgnscakes Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 5:51am
post #18 of 18

i use mirrors and plexiglass all of the time! I have a local glass business that cuts any size and shape that I want and smooths the edges for me. The one thing you do need to do is to put the cake on a cake board or something before putting it on the mirror. This not only cuts down on scratches to the mirror, but because mirror is glass, it makes it food safe and cuts down on the risk of small pieces of the mirror cracking off and getting into your cake.

Look into seeing if you can find a glass place in your area...the costs are so much more cheaper.

Good luck!!!!

Clarice
www.themorgns.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%