What Filling Is This??

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 1:53pm by CakesByJen2

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 4

What chocolate filling is this when you cut into a dark chocolate cake and there is a layer of chocolate that is dense and not sweet.Is it Ganache?? Ganache is sort of rubbery to me...I had a cake with it the other day and the fork caught the ganache topping and ripped it right off..Literally...anyone know what I am talking about or have a recipe for this filling??

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
karateka Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 4

It could have been ganache, although it's tough to say without seeing/tasting it.

Not all ganache is the same consistency. Some are made with more cream than others, so it's softer when cooled.

Wildrose6633 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 1:29am
post #3 of 4

It may have been whipped ganache, You take the ganache and whip it up just the way it is. It will not be any sweeter than when you pour it over the cake.

CakesByJen2 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 4

It is probably ganache if it is dense. Ganache shouldn't be rubbery like you described. If it was, then either there was not enough cream in the ganache, or the cake was served chilled. Ganache needs to be at room temp for best flavor and consistency. You have to play around with the proportions of cream and chocolate to get the consistency just right, and it will very with the type and brand of chocolate you are using. For filling, I use roughly 1/2 to 2/3 oz cream for each oz of chocolate, depending on whether I'm also adding some liqueur to the ganache (if so, use the lesser emount of cream). For whipped ganache, which would be almost like a dark chocolate mousse, you use an equal amount of cream, or maybe even a bit more (I haven't quite master this one yet, but I prefer straight ganach anyway). HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%