Worst Bc Ever - Used Ck Products Clear Vanilla

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 21 Nov 2008 , 4:23pm by PinkZiab

Trixyinaz Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 16

OMG. I have used the same BC recipe since I started caking and last night I used a different brand of Vanilla Flavor - CK Products - that I picked up at my supply store yesterday. I should have known it wouldn't be good when I measured it out. It looked thicker than any flavoring/extract I've ever used and it didn't have a very vanilla smell. Well, I used it anyway and when I tasted it, I about GAGGED! All I could taste was that Glycerin taste. It was NASTY so I had to throw it all away.

Anyone else experience this with CK Products? Luckily I made it to my Michaels store 5 minutes before they closed and picked up a bottle of Wilton's clear vanilla. SOOOOOO much better!

15 replies
chutzpah Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 16

I have always wondered why people use that clear fake vanilla-flavored stuff!!!

Can someone please explain this to me!! Inquiring minds want to know!

Clear vanilla is made by combining propylene glycol or glycerine with artificial vanillin, which simulates only one flavor component out of over 250 different flavor components found in natural vanilla. It is a by product of the wood industry or is produced from petro-chemicals.

indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 16

As I understand it, and I could be totally wrong, the flavorings can be sold to the supply stores in a concentrate and the supply store rebottles them in the diluted amounts. My supply store said the reason the vanilla lasts longer is they don't dilute it QUITE as much so it's a little stronger.

But the icing I made this week tasted a little "off" to me, too, and I just got a new bottle from my local store. (oh no, mr. bill! debi's icing tastes funny!) icon_surprised.gif I'm going to play with it and see if it's the vanilla or if I mixed something wrong (but goodness, I've been making this for 25 years so I can pretty much do it with my eyes closed!)

Trixyinaz Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 16

Chutzpah - so what do you use for clear vanilla? The only "real" vanilla I've seen is brown.

Debi - hmmmm, I'm gonna ask my supply store if that is what they do too. I've used that particular brand before and never had the taste issue until I bought this 2nd bottle. It's funny b/c when I used the first bottle, I noticed the viscosity right away, but didn't really notice any weird taste...in fact, I didn't think it gave that much of a vanilla taste. But, this is the only brand my supply store sells so I got a 2nd bottle this weekend. I don't know if they are getting it in concentrate form and diluting it themselves and packaging i - but something was wrong with this batch of Clear Vanilla. I did notice there was no protective seal on the bottle...opened the cap and ready to pour....which I thought was odd. This would explain the no tamper evident thing if they rebottled it at the store as I wouldn't think they would have the equipment necessary to seal a bottle cap (heat seal, shrinkwrap or pressure seal). They are going on my list of people to call tomorrow. Thanks!

Vicki

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 16

I use the Wadkins double strength clear Vanilla.I buy it by the gallon.It is clear and has a nice flavor and smell. I too use it so it won't turn my icing Ecru.

sayhellojana Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 16

Trixyinaz -
I don't use clear vanilla because I just hate the flavor. I use real, brown vanilla and my BC is good. If you get a good quality vanilla, you won't need to use as much and it really should not effect the color of the BC much at all. The butter changes my BC more then vanilla does. you should try real and see what you think

akgirl10 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 8:31am
post #7 of 16

I think real vanilla is worth a slightly less than bright white buttercream. I've also found that if I beat the butter long enough it really lightens up in color, so it's not as off-white.

akgirl10 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 8:32am
post #8 of 16

I think real vanilla is worth a slightly less than bright white buttercream. I've also found that if I beat the butter long enough it really lightens up in color, so it's not as off-white.

akgirl10 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 8:32am
post #9 of 16

cakemaker61 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:17am
post #10 of 16

I get my clear vanilla from McNess Products online. It is imitation vanilla but it tastes great and is cost effective. I buy it by the gallon and with shipping is 30 something dollars. Can't remember exactly. I've used it for years and love it. Their website is: www.mcnesscpg.com

DebBTX Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 16

I order real old-fashioned vanilla from a Texas company called Adams. They have a variety of sizes, and it is double-strength delicious.

-Debbie B.

chutzpah Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 16

I only use real vanilla. I would never touch that clear, vanilla-flavored stuff.

IMO it should be illegal to label it as vanilla, as it really isn't.

TC123 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 16

Like chutzpah, I only use real vanilla. icon_smile.gif

I don't enjoy the flavor of the clear stuff and I willingly sacrifice that super white-white color. (I don't have any demanding customers though! icon_wink.gif ) I tried Wilton's clear vanilla in my early days of cake decorating and did not like it at all. ... Guess I never felt like giving it another try.

Have a great night everyone!

moxey2000 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 9:48pm
post #14 of 16

I bought 4 bottles of CK Products Clear Vanilla a few weeks ago. I thought maybe it was just me, but the icing doesn't taste the same as when I used Wilton's Clear Vanilla. Now I know it wasn't just me!

KiddieKakes: Where do you get your double-strength clear vanilla?

newmansmom2004 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

I have always wondered why people use that clear fake vanilla-flavored stuff!!!

Can someone please explain this to me!! Inquiring minds want to know!

Clear vanilla is made by combining propylene glycol or glycerine with artificial vanillin, which simulates only one flavor component out of over 250 different flavor components found in natural vanilla. It is a by product of the wood industry or is produced from petro-chemicals.

I started using only pure vanilla months ago and I'll never go back to store bought. If someone wants pure white buttercream I tell them I use pure vanilla which is brown, and the white may be white, but not as white as using an artificial clear flavor and they understand. The difference is night and day. Ditto with cinnamon. If you think what you buy from the A&P or Kroger or any other chain store is cinnamon, go online and buy some GOOD Vietnamese cinnamon. The aroma will amaze you and you'll taste the difference in your baking. It's WONDERFUL! icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:23pm
post #16 of 16

To me, clear vanilla smells like paint thinner (and doesn't taste much better than it smells)... I cannot stomach frosting made with it. I only use real vanilla (and my buttercream is all-butter anyway, so it wouldn't be pure white--all shortening BC makes me nauseous to think about). I'm pretty much an all-fondant decorator, so color isn't an issue, but on those rare occasions I do make a buttercream cake, I tell them pure white buttercream just isn't how I work. Also, I usually use vanilla bean paste over extract, because I LOVE it, but I don't use that in icing that will show because of the flecks, unless a "dessert" cake, and not a special occasion cake. In that case, I actually like the vanilla bean flecks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%