Help!! A Little Bit Nervous

Decorating By maryak Updated 17 Nov 2008 , 4:40am by CakeMakar

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 16

I am in Australia and I have received an overseas order from the Solomon Islands. I have quoted this lady who wants a wedding cake for the 5th of December!! (Yes two weeks away!!). She has accepted mu quote and has told me that I don't have to worry about shipping it as she has a personal shipper who will take care of it. The only thing I am worried about is she is asking for all of my personal details such as my full name, address (I work from home) and phone number. I have told her that she would have to pay up front before I even start the cake and she has said that she will send her credit card details through to me straight away and to take an extra $100 dollars for my time.

Just wanting to get some thoughts as I'm a little bit hesitant about giving away my personal details over the internet. What do you guys think I shoud do. Should I go ahead?

Mary

15 replies
VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 16

this sounds alot like the scams people on CC are always talking about. Did she say someone would come pick it up in a refrigerated truck and deliver it to her and all that? I personally wouldn't do it, get some other opinions and let us know what happens. Good LUck

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 16

I would not do the cake. It sounds like the scam that has been circulating around for a while. DO NOT GIVE OUT ANY OF YOUR INFORMATION. Please be careful with this one.
Donna

maryak Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 16

Yes, she said her personal shipper would be picking up the cake and to withdraw $2,600 dollars to pay him when he comes to collect the cake.

I have told her that I don't have the facility to handle credit card deductions and that I could send her a "request for payment" PayPal. I'll see what she says. I've got 2 kids at home and really don't feel comfortable giving out all of my details. Why does she need my full name when she has my business name? This was her email, I didn't realise that my email gave out my surname, so she has that now!!;

"Hello Mary K****,

Thanks for your reply, I am satisfied with the purchase, i am ok with you making me a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing, i am willing to make out Payment right away to you, I request that a Bill of purchase be issued out to : Mrs Kimberly Floyds.

I have seen the price and its okay by me, i do not have a pay pal or know how to used it, i will be forwarding my credit card information for the payment so you can process it and deduct your money for your item, mean while i want you to understand that, i have a personal shipper that will be handling the shipping for me so you don't really have to worry about the shipment, he will be coming for the pick up, i have made all arrangements because he also has some other items which i placed other to take care of the shipments for me, so i want you to deduct $2,600 from my credit card, this excess is for my shipper that will be coming for pick up of the goods from your location, the funds will be used for the shipping of the {red velvet cake with cream cheese icing} along side other goods i placed order for in care of my shipper to handle for me, i employ that as soon as i forward my credit card details and you process your payment that you deduct your money for the item ($855.00) and then proceed to a western union outlet and have my shipping Charges Paid to My delivery Company as soon as you have processed the payment and i also want you to deduct an extra $100 for yourself for the stress of processing and the cost of wiring the remaining funds to my shipper that same day you process my payment.

My Shipper will come for pick up of the goods on a specified date that will be convenient for you i hope i can count on you for my balance I ALSO WANT THIS TO BASE ON TRUST CAN I TRUST YOU?...
Hope i can trust you with my shipping company charges. Please acknowledge this email I have sent you and await my payment. I request you provide me with your details, so i can forward to the shipping company.

Details :
Name in full: , Address: , City: , State: , Zip code: , Phone#:

I await your Payment Details, so i can forward you my credit card details.

Thanks so much for your understanding.

Mrs Kimberly Floyds."

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 16

Oh, hon, this is a SCAM SCAM SCAM. icon_sad.gif Please drop all communication with this criminal. Do a search here on CC for 'scam' and see what comes up.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-610380-scam.html
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=609454&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I'm editing my post to be a little more forceful:

This is not a legitimate cake order
These people are criminals who will steal your money and time and possibly your identity.

THERE IS NO CHANCE THAT THIS IS REAL.

I don't want to yell, but I do want to get my point across. It makes me sick to see what these lowlifes do to honest people.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 16

Yes, this person tried to scam me not once but TWICE. The second time he/she used a different alias. What an idiot!! icon_mad.gif

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 16

Drop this one like a hot potato!

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 16

This is definitely a scam. I spend my real life sitting in a courtroom everyday (court reporter) and I hear stuff like this from time to time. A lot of these people never get caught, unfortunately, because they are out of the country. They use local people to do things, though, and the locals do get caught from time to time. Sometimes they (the local people) don't even know they're doing anything wrong. Example, the credit card number she gives you could be someone else's card. YOU are the one making the transaction and delivering cash to someone else. (Someone who vanishes off the face of the earth after the fact.)

Anyway, I'd say kick this garbage to the curb.

I lurk on here absorbing the wealth of knowledge and dreaming one day of being a top notch decorator! But for now, I just listen to criminals.

Lisa

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 16

This is definitely a scam. I spend my real life sitting in a courtroom everyday (court reporter) and I hear stuff like this from time to time. A lot of these people never get caught, unfortunately, because they are out of the country. They use local people to do things, though, and the locals do get caught from time to time. Sometimes they (the local people) don't even know they're doing anything wrong. Example, the credit card number she gives you could be someone else's card. YOU are the one making the transaction and delivering cash to someone else. (Someone who vanishes off the face of the earth after the fact.)

Anyway, I'd say kick this garbage to the curb.

I lurk on here absorbing the wealth of knowledge and dreaming one day of being a top notch decorator! But for now, I just listen to criminals.

Lisa

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 16

After having read SO MANY posts about these scams, I'd be tempted to have the authorities waiting at my business waiting for the "shipper". How awful do you have to be to scam someone for a cake?

maryak Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you all, but do you think they can do anything with my surname. Stupid Gmail!! I never realised it put your full name in front of your email. I'm so scared. I really don't want them coming round to our house and trying anything. Is it just a money scam or do they attempt to track people down and go to their houses? I'm sorry to sound so unknowledgable but I'm really getting scared.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:54pm
post #12 of 16

If it's any comfort, I've never heard of these people being in the business of doing personal harm. They're cowards who are after your money, that's all.

maryak Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:02am
post #13 of 16

Thanks Kelleym. It's funny, I haven't heard back sincew I said I don't have credit card facilities and they can pay by PayPal!! What a bunch of losers. Honestly, these people must be pretty clever. Why don't they invest their time and brains into opening a legit business or even finding a good paying job in IT!!

Thanks everyone for all your help. This was definately a close call and I'm glad I listened to my gut instinct and didn't give out any info!!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:06am
post #14 of 16

Forward it to the FBI! They have a division for this stuff. They won't be able to do anything for you, but they gather the information little by little and it may help them get these people one day.

maryak Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:12am
post #15 of 16

I'm trying to find the equivalent here in Australia, we dob't have an FBI. I might speak to the local police station or the Office of Fair Trading.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #16 of 16

Sorry, didn't notice. Perhaps you can email the US FBI and ask them if they know. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%