Help, Had To Leave, Cuppies Now Stale

Decorating By rocketmom1985 Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 11:40pm by maggiev777

rocketmom1985 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 12

I had to rush out of town on family emergency...I was totally a wreck and left my just baked choc cuppies on the table, covered only with a dishtowel. Actually I left them open and my FIL kindly covered them up with the first thing he found...a clean ktchen towel. In hindsight I should have taken the time to pop in freezer icon_mad.gif but the thought didn't even cross my mind at the time. I now have 12 regular and 18 mini's that are stale.

My question...can I at least salvage these as cake balls...adding frosting and some Torani flavored syrups and and making cupcake balls/pops? I really hate to toss...this recipe has 1.5 cups of cocoa, lots of butter...
Will they taste stale ya think?

I guess I should post this in a thread of "lessons learned" messages. icon_cry.gif

11 replies
Win Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 12

Well, you can't beat yourself up too much... an emergency is an emergency and that takes first priority. How old are the cuppies? If they are a 5 to 7 days, they might taste stale as well as actually being stale. You will have to sacrifice one to find out. icon_lol.gif If it seems fine, then I think cake balls are a good alternative and go for it!

Hope all is ironed out in your world now, and you can get back to breathing regularly. icon_rolleyes.gif

Blessings.

FromScratch Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 12

Yeah.. if they don't taste stale then theyw ill be fine as cake balls. Crack one open and find out. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 12

The rule in my kitchen: "When in doubt, throw it out".

If it's enough to have you concerned, then, to me, it's enough to just pitch 'em.

Cake_Princess Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmom1985

I had to rush out of town on family emergency...I was totally a wreck and left my just baked choc cuppies on the table, covered only with a dishtowel. Actually I left them open and my FIL kindly covered them up with the first thing he found...a clean ktchen towel. In hindsight I should have taken the time to pop in freezer icon_mad.gif but the thought didn't even cross my mind at the time. I now have 12 regular and 18 mini's that are stale.

My question...can I at least salvage these as cake balls...adding frosting and some Torani flavored syrups and and making cupcake balls/pops? I really hate to toss...this recipe has 1.5 cups of cocoa, lots of butter...
Will they taste stale ya think?

I guess I should post this in a thread of "lessons learned" messages. icon_cry.gif





Hmmm, emergency vs. cupcakes. crap happens. Bake a new batch it's not the end of the world.

rocketmom1985 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 12

icon_redface.gif Thanks everyone...you are right, they are only cupcakes! Grandpa is doing fine and that is what matters!!!

I did crack one open and the insides were still nice and moist/tender, the tops were kinda hard.I really love this recipe that I use, it is the Barefoot contessa's chocolate cake from food tv. I beheaded the little guys and put the rest in a bowl to make cake balls. I will sample a small amount with the icing to taste test before I use the whole recipe of icing tho! Lesson learned, it's only cake!

kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 12

Since you say they are nice inside if you haven't already tossed them I say they will make great cake balls. Will those be for family? Cut off the tops & go for iticon_smile.gif

Laura102777 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 12

I know everybody will think I'm crazy, but I love my cake scraps when they get chewy. I'll let them sit on the counter for a day or so and just let them dry out. I like my cake nice and moist, but I love my cake scraps chewy. Weird, huh?

Cake_Princess Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmom1985

icon_redface.gif Thanks everyone...you are right, they are only cupcakes! Grandpa is doing fine and that is what matters!!!

I did crack one open and the insides were still nice and moist/tender, the tops were kinda hard.I really love this recipe that I use, it is the Barefoot contessa's chocolate cake from food tv. I beheaded the little guys and put the rest in a bowl to make cake balls. I will sample a small amount with the icing to taste test before I use the whole recipe of icing tho! Lesson learned, it's only cake!





Just make sure you don't see any fine pully type strings what you pull one apart and check for any mold that might be starting to form.

Cake_Princess Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmom1985

icon_redface.gif Thanks everyone...you are right, they are only cupcakes! Grandpa is doing fine and that is what matters!!!

I did crack one open and the insides were still nice and moist/tender, the tops were kinda hard.I really love this recipe that I use, it is the Barefoot contessa's chocolate cake from food tv. I beheaded the little guys and put the rest in a bowl to make cake balls. I will sample a small amount with the icing to taste test before I use the whole recipe of icing tho! Lesson learned, it's only cake!





Just make sure you don't see any fine pully type strings what you pull one apart and check for any mold that might be starting to form.

Lenore Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:16pm
post #11 of 12

Maybe just use them to practice a new decorating technique/take pictures? That way you would not feel so bad throwing them out afterwards.

Laura you crack me up!

maggiev777 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:40pm
post #12 of 12

Glad your grandpa is ok - that really is the most important thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura102777

I know everybody will think I'm crazy, but I love my cake scraps when they get chewy. I'll let them sit on the counter for a day or so and just let them dry out. I like my cake nice and moist, but I love my cake scraps chewy. Weird, huh?




ME TOO!!!! I enjoy some fresh scraps immediately after trimming, but then I just wrap the rest loosely in a paper towel (never a plastic bag!!) and put them in a kitchen drawer for a day or two. They get so nice and chewy (especially any edge bits that were crispy before). They are the BEST that way! Mmmmmm!!!

Makes me sad to think Rocketmom might have thrown away those chewy tops. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%