Why Do My Cakes Stick?

Decorating By Tisha___ Updated 17 Nov 2008 , 12:23am by Getus

Tisha___ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tisha___ Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 16

When I tried my first practice layer cake (a couple of months ago) I only had one round pan. So, the first layer came out ok. A tiny bit stuck, but I figured it was just that I hadn't greased & floured it quite enough. So, with the next layer, I thought I had it, but it stuck even worse! I couldn't even get it out of the pan. So, then I figured maybe the pan hadn't cooled all the way (even though it felt like it had) and that was why.

Well, today I'm supposed to be decorting my cousin's birthday cake. My mom gave me my grandma's layer cake pans to use. They're nice, supposedly really good, pans.

So, I baked them yesterday. They all 3 stuck!!! What am I doing wrong??? Should I grease the pans with butter instead of Crisco or something?? Please advise!

15 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 16

Try pan release. Make it by combining equal parts flour, oil and veg shortening, whipped together. You can use a pastry brush to brush it on the inside walls of the pan. Then cut a parchment or waxed paper round to put in the bottom. it's possible that you may still have to run a thin knife or cake spatula between the edge of the cake and the pan. Nothing wrong with doing that.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 16

I personally (not a pro) use the spray that already has the flour and only let them stay in the pan a few mins. after they are out of the oven and then place them on the cooling racks. I have done this with all of my cakes and so far they have all turned out well. My grandmother uses butter instead of crisco but occ. they stick. I just found my chances are better with the spray and as long as I wash the pans right away I haven't gotten any sticky residue from it.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 16

I use the homemade pan release on my cakes and never have an issue with sticking. Combine equal parts vegetable oil, all-purpose flour and shortening in a plastic dish. I store mine in the fridge (some don't) then using a pastry brush, "paint" the bottoms and sides of my pans.

Also, you stated you wondered if the pan had cooled all the way. I only cool for 10, maybe 15 minutes before turning out to cool completely on a wire rack. The cake is still quite hot when I remove it from the pan. HTH.

Cris icon_smile.gif

Tisha___ Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks for the tips!!! I did run a knife on the sides, but they weren't really the parts that stuck.

So, I think next time I will try the waxed paper trick! Awesome idea!

Do I need to grease the waxed paper or anything?

I think since I only have 5 hours left, my cousin might just get cupcakes today. lol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 16

No, don't grease the paper.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 16

When you grease the sides of you pans, I use a paper towel to spread the release, make sure you grease along the bottom edge and the bottom a good inch so you know you have the release under your parchment. No, you don't grease the parchment/waxed paper. I let my cakes sit for 10-15 minutes out of the oven then run a spatula around the edge, being careful to keep the spatula against the pan. Before I remove the cake from the pan I jiggle the pan side to side in to make sure it's loosened from the bottom, then put a cooling rack over the top and flip it. After it's cooled you can flip it back into the pan until you're ready to do something with it. Cover it with plastic. Practice makes perfect, or makes it easier anyway.
Good luck!
Carol

Tisha___ Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 16

Well, I hate to just throw them away, so I decided I'd at least TRY to get them to work. I mean, theyre all there, just the middles weren't really connected anymore. LOL So, I "pasted the middles in with BC and decided to see what would happen. I popped the layered cake in the freezer for 30 minutes (I had just done that before posting this post). I trimmed the cake, to make it round again, and I just finished the crumb coat. I'll let you know if they collapse later in the day. I'm making sugar cookies too, so at least we'll have that if it doesn't work. LOL Thankfully, my cousin doesn't particularly like cake much anyway, so at least there's that. icon_lol.gif

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 16

I like to use Bakers Joy Spray. It has the flour in it, is pretty reasonable and it works great! I have never had a problem with it.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybeth

I like to use Bakers Joy Spray. It has the flour in it, is pretty reasonable and it works great! I have never had a problem with it.

Me too!! I love it. I have used some other brands as well and it has worked fine.

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 16

I always use Pam with flour spray (Baker's joy work just as well), I have never had any problems. Another trick is to not to take them out of the pan while they are still warm, they seem to stick if they are not completely cooled. I always cool mine cakes in the pan on a cooling rack so the bottom of the pan can cool also.

HTH,
Chele

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 16

I have always used the homemade bakers grease, use equal parts of vegtable oil, shortening and flour I whip it in my mixer and save in a plastic container in the refrigerator. I grease the pans with a pastry brush and place parchment paper in the bottom. The cakes come flying right out never had a problem.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 16

I'm an extremist. I line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and then spray the whole inside of the pan with Baker's Joy. Not a crumb sticks!

Tisha___ Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:54pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you everyone! I almost can't wait to make my next one, to try out the new tricks I learned.

I posted my flickr stream for the cake in the "Cake Decorating" forum. Please go take a look and tell me what you think!

I would have uploaded the pics here, but it said uploading was temporarily unavailable.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:09am
post #15 of 16

My cakes never used to stick, and now they do more often. I used to just use the baking spray with the flour in it. Now I am a HUGE supporter of the parchment paper on the bottom and never make a cake without it.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:23am
post #16 of 16

Well, all I've ever done is line the bottom of my pan(s) with brown freezer sack paper. Nothing on the sides...only the brown paper in the bottom. I believe it's technically called brown kraft paper.
Maybe it's pure luck, but I've never had a cake stick at all. I run a sharp knife around the edges after about 10 mins out of the oven, shake the pan from side to side in my hands...this is when I can feel and see the cake move freely. Then I flip it out onto a cooling rack. done.

My 2 cents, and that's probably what it's worth. icon_surprised.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%