Help! I Could Not Get The Viva Paper Towel Trick To Work!

Decorating By He2_13 Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 4:40am by kakeladi

He2_13 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:26am
post #1 of 3

I have several questions here. First of all, I made a crusting butter cream and I let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. I tried the Viva paper towel trick I saw someone else say they used and I could not get it to work. It just made more of a globby mess. This buttercream I used was some I made a week ago, and it has been in my fridge, however I let it sit out to get about room temperature before using it. What am I doing wrong??

Also, I made a fall cake with fondant leaves, which I posted pics of. How do I get more realistic colors? I had red, orange, and yellow, which were pretty, but they seemed too brite. I saw on another post where someone was wanting to do something similar and a suggestion was made about petal dust? Where do I find that? Is that the same thing as luster dust?

Finally, does anyone practice on a dummy cake regularly. This last "cake" I decorated was some styrofoam covered in press n' seal. I had a harder time with that than I would a regular cake. Does anyone have any tips about how to make that easier to work with? I want to get lots of practice in, but I don't want to have to bake a cake every weekend.

Any advice will greatly be appreciated!

2 replies
gr8_seamstress Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:36am
post #2 of 3

let the cake sit a good 20 min before trying to smoothe with viva towel. Temperature & humidity can effect the outcome as well.
As for the fondant leaves I like to blend in some brown with the orange, yellow & green. It looks very realistic when you leave the fondant sort of marbled.
You are right about covering a dummy with fondant. it is easier to cover a real cake.

kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #3 of 3

......let it sit for about 10-15 minutes....tried the Viva paper towel trick....What am I doing wrong??......
W/o knowing exactly which recipe you used it's hard to advise you. Don't just time how long you let the icing 'dry'. Did you test it? Did you try in several places by touching it w/your finger to see if it was dry?
..... petal dust? Where do I find that? Is that the same thing as luster dust?.....
They are similar. Petal dust has a dull finish compared to luster dust which will have a sheen.
I never had any luck using press & seal on styro. The only thing that worked for me was the stuff that you heat shrink.

Quote by @%username% on %date%