Suggestins For Hexagon Cakes

Decorating By aundrea Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 3:09pm by lutie

aundrea Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:20am
post #1 of 11

i will be making my first hexagon cake 3-tier covered in fondant for my daughters bday next week.
any suggestions on how to cover in fondant? im not that expierenced with working with fondant. ive only covered a round cake.
also any advice on stacking them would be great too!
i will have to transport the stacked cake to the resturant.
thanks in advance,
darlene

10 replies
aundrea Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:25am
post #2 of 11

also,
i need to bake/decorate cake on thursday/friday. but we wont have the cake until sunday. will it be ok waiting that long? i mean with the fondant.
the cake/fillings wont need refrigeration.
should i wait until sunday to stack the cakes?
thanks again!

gr8_seamstress Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:31am
post #3 of 11

When covering hexagon with fondant, do the corners first. same as when you would do a square. Yes it will be fine covered unrefrigerated. I would wait to stack until Sunday. Good luck.

aundrea Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:04am
post #4 of 11

ive never covered a square cake before so i dont know what you mean when you say cover the corners first.

kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:22am
post #5 of 11

You 'fix' the fondant at the corners by lightly pulling it from the cake and running your hand down each side to attach the fondant making sure it is smooth; now go to the next corner doing the same; continue until all corners are done. Now finish off smoothing out each flat/center part; pull the fondant away (gently/slowly, stretching as little as possible but as much as needed to keep it smooth all the way to the bottom) until you can run your hand smoothly down the whole way.

SANZ Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 11

Quick ? - do you roll the fondant out in a square, circle or try for a hexagon?

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 11

SANZ, it doeesn't matter what shpae you roll it out into. Just need to make sure you roll it out big enough to cover the whole cake.

grama_j Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 11

There is NO WAY I would try to decorate that cake the same day you need it. Do it AT LEAST the day before ! IF something would happen, you would still have time to fix it....... don't wear yourself out on the cake and not be able to enjoy the party ....

step0nmi Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 4:03am
post #9 of 11

i suggest the fondant paddle smoother from wilton. I had no idea I needed it until just this past year. I realized that hands just don't do the strik anymore.

when stacking you just have to make sure that you cut your dowels/straws the height of the cake by putting them into the cake first and marking them..then cutting them. do this for each individual one. I don't know what size you are stacking but an 8"cake probably needs only 4 around the edges and then one in the middle. if you do too many you may make your cake unstable. there is a wonderful tutorial in the articles section of CC. take a look and that will give you a visual on how to do the stacking icon_wink.gif

good luck!

lutie Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 11

oops!

lutie Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 11

I would not put the layers together until I got to the restaurant. I had to deliver a three tier to a restaurant last week and boy, am I glad I did not stack it. The baby shower had been moved to the second floor (no elevators in this historical place)... I would never had been able to get it up the narrow staircase if it had been stacked. As it was, I had the bottom one attached to the decorated cake board and it took a lot of engineering just to get it up the steps...

...just make sure you arrive about an hour before it starts and you can put it together (take yourself a "repair kit"... I never take a cake anywhere without one.

Practice on a hexagon cake mix a couple of times before you do the final product. It will save your sanity!

Also, I would go to youtube and check out their hexagon cake decorated with fondant... it will give you more confidence.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%