Help!! How To Flip A 16 In Round Top Layer Out?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 11:25pm by mommicakes

yellobutterfly Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:10am
post #1 of 7

Help! I always just flip the top layer of cakes onto my hand, or arm (for the bigger ones)...this works fine up to 12inches, but tonight I'm doing a 16 in round and it almost tore when I flipped it out to level it, now I'm afraid to flip it back out onto the bottom layer...and how do you get it even with the bottom layer (you've kinda only got one chance, ya know - so if it's not completely lined up w/ bottom layer...ugh!)

6 replies
sweetisome Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:51am
post #2 of 7

I use a cake circle or a cookie sheet. it helps to support the cake. You can pick it up off of whatever that way too...just slide the board/sheet under it and viola! You need to get it just under the edge and then use a quick "scooping/sliding" motion to get it under there sometimes. Hope that helps

miny Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 7:08am
post #3 of 7

I use a plastic cutting board, those really thin but study that I have only for cake torting they are reusable, cheap and work well thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 7

Lay a large cooling rack on top of the cake while it's still in the pan. Then grab the pan and cooling rack and flip. I then take another cooling rack and flip it again, so the cake is sitting on it's bottom while cooling. To get the cake onto the bottom layer, I either just slide it off of the cooling rack onto the bottom layer, or use a cardboard and slide it off of the cardboard.

I remember in my first-starting-out-days, when there was no internet or CC (Yes, VIrginia, there WERE days with no internet!) and I didnt' know these tips. I did the same as you .... flipped the cake out of the pan with my hands, a prayer and a Hail Mary or two!

kokopuff Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:46am
post #5 of 7

I have only recently started making cakes that large but I have a flat pizza pan I flip mine out on.works great for me.

yellobutterfly Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 7

lol, funny indy!

thanks everyone for the ideas, now I need to get a cooling rack or cutting board that is 16 in!

mommicakes Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 7

Until I figured out that I could use the inexpensive cutting boards or cookie sheets icon_redface.gif I would call on poor old DH to come help. icon_redface.gif Then I could yell at him if anything happened to the cake as far as tearing, or breaking and such. Now he has gotten wiser to me and makes me use the cookie sheets/cake circles all by myself now. icon_wink.gif He knew I could do it all by my lonesome all along. Good Man he is. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%