Vegan Wedding Cake

Decorating By TracyRu Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 10:12pm by khstephenson

TracyRu Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:35am
post #1 of 5

Hi! I was hoping that someone may be able to help me. I have a vegan friend getting married early next year, who is hoping I'll make her cake for he all vegan reception. Luckily, she wants a carrot cake, which I have an excellent recipe I use (if I don't say so myself!) My issue with the cake is only the egg substitute. Has anyone ever used it, and if so, does it effect the overall stability of the cake? My REAL issue is the frosting. She wants a traditional cream cheese, but using the vegan cream cheese substitute. Has anyone ever done frosting like this before? ANY input would be awesome- I'm planning on doing at least one dry run, but I know you all have so much experience, so I thought I'd put it out there first! Thanks again!

4 replies
aztomcat Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:59am
post #2 of 5

Since you have a little time, I would do a couple of test cakes. Try it with the egg subst. and the frosting with the vegan cream cheese.

You can also search vegan recipes in the recipes section here.

Good luck.....Those two flavors are a winner.

sillyjodes Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:15am
post #3 of 5

I've used soy cream cheese in dips and it turned out great. Granted, I wasn't trying to pipe the veggie dip, but I'm just saying it mixed well. Also, I remember being able to get soy sour cream and pudding when my daughter had allergies. You want to watch the egg replacers. Some still contain egg proteins in them. I always used a applesauce or in your case baby food carrots, then use a baking powder and vinegar replacement for the eggs. Sometime, the baking powder/vinegar can make baked items too airy, but I don''t think you need to worry too much with carrot cake.
Jodie

Monkess Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 5

The soy cream cheese should work just fine. My business is entirely vegetarian where wedo egg free cakes only, I dont use egg replacers. The vinegar -baking soda receipe is a good one.
Good luck!

khstephenson Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 5

My son is allergic to eggs. Use the vinegar/baking soda as the substitute for the eggs. You may need to test your recipe a couple times to get it right. The egg replacer is bad -it has a terrible taste and does not give the leavening.

The Tofutti brand of cream cheese is great so you shouldn't have an issue there but I would test it to be sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%