Questions On Chocolate Transfers

Decorating By SweetTater Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm by kakeladi

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:24am
post #1 of 6

I have made several FBCTs but have yet to attempt the chocolate transfer. I have read several posts and links to tutorials but still have a few questions:

1. to get black, use choc. wafers and then add black candy color? I can't use reg. icing coloring, it has to be candy coloring?

2. to make other colors, use the van. wafers and then add candy coloring?

3. How far in advance can I make these and how do I store them: fridge? cool room?

4. Is there anything different you do if you want the transfer characters to stand up on top of the cake? Do I put a stick in it while it is wet? And what about attaching them to the side - just add buttercream to the back?

5. I've read that people use parchment paper or a heavy duty freezer bag, what works the best?

TIA!

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 7:28am
post #2 of 6

I will try to answer all your questions about Chocolate transfers

You cannot use regular icing color-it will cause the chocolate to seize- it gets crumbly and unusable

For color, you can use colored cany melts, or your favorite white chocolate and add candy colors. Powdered color can work, but you may have to add a bit of shortening to make it smooth

You can make them in advance, but you have guard agains moisture and heat. No not refrigerate the chocolate.

You can add a flat popsicle stick to designs to stand on a cake, but the smaller they are the more stable. You can adhere chocolate with buttercream, or even royal icing

a heavy plastic bag works great, provded it is large enough, and very smooth.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 6

..... attempt the chocolate transfer......to get black, use choc. wafers and then add black candy color?..
That is right. No you cannot use paste/gels as they have water in them & it will make the choco sieze icon_sad.gif
......to make other colors, use the van. wafers and then add candy coloring? ......
Some candy wafers come in colors; otherwise add your own candy colors.
........ How far in advance can I make these and how do I store them: fridge? cool room? ........
Best kept in a cool, dark room If you do store in frig they will sweat when removed; just let them sit at room temp about an hour w/o touching them & it should evaporate.
...... if you want the transfer characters to stand up on top of the cake? Do I put a stick in it while it is wet?.....
Yep, toothpick, sucker stick whatever depending on the side of the item.
........attaching them to the side - just add buttercream to the back? .......
Righticon_smile.gif Pipe an open circle of b'cream. This is better than just a dot/blob as it tends to form a bit of a suction to help hold it on better.
.....parchment paper or a heavy duty freezer bag, what works the best?
Not sure what you are asking here. I prefere to make mine on plastic wrap. Makes removing much, much easier w/almost no breakage.

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for all the help. I have just a few more questions:

Before sitting down to work on your transfer, Do you get all your colors ready first, put them in bags and keep them warm on a heating pad? Or is it better just to mix each color as you need it?

Also, I want to put the edible glitter on a big number 3 I'm making with the choc. transfer. So after the transfer is done and I peel off the plastic, how do I put the glitter on? Brush with extract and then sprinkle it on?

How long does the transfer have to sit before it is ready to be peeled off the plastic?

I want to make these transfers about 4-5 days in advance, so should I store them in plastic containers in a dark closet, or just put them on an open tray and find a dark cool spot? What do you recommend?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 6

You can also use Flo-coat to help with using regular gel colors to color chocolate. If you use straight gel colors the chocolate will seize.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 6

........ Do you get all your colors ready first, put them in bags and keep them warm on a heating pad.......
I've ony made a couple of small CTs but yes, this sounds like a good ideaicon_smile.gif
.......after the transfer is done.......how do I put the glitter on? Brush with extract and then sprinkle it on......
The glitter will stick to the choco w/o extract. Maybe not enough for your look but I'm not sure how the extract will work....I'm thinking it will just 'melt' the glitter. You can put the CT in the frig to get cold then when you take it out it will be damp/sticky so the dust will stick better. I don't know......not sure how either will turn out.
.......How long does the transfer have to sit before it is ready to be peeled off the plastic?......
It depends on how thick/big you make the CT and how cool your house is. Probably not more than 1 hr....maybe even much less.
....... should I store them in plastic containers in a dark closet, or just put them on an open tray and find a dark cool spot?
Either will work. Just want to keep them cool & out of direct sun; also dust free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%