Just A Funny And Slightly Embarrasing Situation...

Decorating By need2sleep Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 5:16pm by LittleMom

need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:30am
post #1 of 26

I went to Home Depot to purchase a bench scraper. icon_biggrin.gif While I was looking at the different tools trying to decide I noticed all these men looking at me. icon_redface.gif I bet they thought it was weird of me looking at a manly tool for purchase. It made me feel uncomfortable so I just left. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif I told my daddy and he said they probably just thought I was a contractor, he's funny like that. But anyway, as I walked out of the store I thought about if anyone else had felt like this too while purchasing their "cake tool". My dad said he would go with me next time so I can buy it. icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

25 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:24am
post #2 of 26

I'm sorta feisty and have a quick tongue and I would've said to them "You're staring mighty hard..do you see something over here that you like". icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif Don't feel embarrassed maybe they were checking you out! icon_smile.gif

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:14am
post #3 of 26

I recently just went through the same situation. I went to Lowe's to buy a 6 in round piece of connector for an a/c unit, to cut a cake with. I don't have a 6 in round pan so, I thought of something different. When I was asking the guy where it was, he asked me what I was using it for and when I told him I got some funny looks. But hey! It worked! The cake turned out great, and as soon as I get the picture from my friend that took it I will be putting it on the site.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:40am
post #4 of 26

Just wait until the first itme you tell a non-caker that you use a paint roller to ice your cakes icon_confused.gif
Now that will get you some funny looks icon_lol.gif

firehorse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firehorse Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:40am
post #5 of 26

I was in a real rush when I went into the hardware store to buy a level. The guy who helped me was great and only paused for a millisecond when I told him what it was for. (No I don't need magnetic sides.....) icon_lol.gif

which reminds me of a question.....I bought a level that was fairly short to fit inside my caddy but am now worried that I really needed a longer one. do you guys use one?

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 8:29am
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

Just wait until the first itme you tell a non-caker that you use a paint roller to ice your cakes icon_confused.gif

Sorry did not mean to PM you lol.

What kind of roller? and it's for the fondant correct?

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 8:45am
post #7 of 26

I am in Home Depot and Lowes all the time. I am an electrician (20 yrs) and female. I buy my cake tools all the time in there. They were probably just looking at you trying to figure out if you were a contractor or worker. Seeing a female is still a novelity for some guys. I would go back by myself and not let the looks get to you. If you need help ask for it and just ignore the other stuff. You are a women and you don't need a man to hold your hand.

Buy your cake tools at Home Depot/Lowes and be proud.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 10:06am
post #8 of 26

Sounds like to me they were more interested in checking you out and trying to figure out a way to help you. I do go all the time and now more about the items they sell than most men. As far as the bench scraper, I actually had better luck, not at Lowe's or Home Depot, (I checked there), but I got a straight edge, both sides, chopper at one of the Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or the now defunct Linen and Things. You should see the looks I get when I buy the drill/sanding bits for my Dremel Motor tool and when they ask what I need it for I tell them sanding my gingerbread house.........I don't think they ever figure that one out.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 10:34am
post #9 of 26

Dang... I'm in Home Depot a lot...lol Let's see:

Hammer for dowels
Small PVC Pipe Cutter for wooden dowels
Level - obvious
Paint Brush for crumbs
Stanley Mobile Work Center for cake stuff on the go
Plywood for heavy duty bases
Screw Caddy (?) for tips
Wire Cutters for Gumpaste Flowers
Bench Scraper - But, I did go and get the one from Bed, Bath & Beyond

I'm sure there is more that I can't think of right now...and that's just for my caking...lol Amazing what you can find in the hardware store!

Happy Caking...chuckle... icon_biggrin.gif
Pat

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 26

..... level...fairly short to fit inside my caddy...worried that I really needed a longer one. do you guys use one?.......

Actually I use a bubble level that you get at RV supplie places. I guess you could find them at Lowe's or HD too. It's a circle about the size of a 1/2 $.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 26

In this day and age, a woman buying a tool is NOT an anomily. My husband is as traditionalist as they come and he is laughing at your reaction. Since you mention you would take your dad with you, we are assuming you are young (and good looking) and THAT'S what they were looking at.

But they were not staring because you were buying a "man" tool. It's just not that uncommon; you are not doing anything out of the ordinary.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 26

They were checking you out. Lots of men get hot'n'bothered about women using tools. My husband gooses me all the time when I'm working on the house. Something about women and power tools! icon_rolleyes.gif

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 2:36pm
post #13 of 26

I jut had to chime in on this one!
Years ago when it was more uncommon for females to use or do "man things" I used to be in the hardware stores all the time. I am an artisan and use many "man tools". When I would purchase wood the sales guys would say...."oh we'll throw in an extra foot coz your sure to make mistakes etc." Well in time when they got to know my work and soon that ended but I used to get the biggest chuckle out of them thinking I couldn't use the tools just because I was a girl! It was nothing for hubby to be in the kitchen cooking and me in the basement with the tools!
Nowadays it is so common place for females in the hardware stores....go and enjoy!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 2:41pm
post #14 of 26

i think i might have the best one: when i did my cupcake bouquets for the neighbors and ended up running out of packing peanuts for the bottom of the buckets, i resorted to using gravel...you should have seen that dudes face when he carried it to my car and commented that it was a great day to do some gardening. i said "oh, they're not for landscaping...they're for a cake!"

the strangest expression...i savored it for about 5 seconds, then had mercy on him and explained it. still makes me chuckle!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:07am
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by need2sleep

I went to Home Depot to purchase a bench scraper. icon_biggrin.gif While I was looking at the different tools trying to decide I noticed all these men looking at me. icon_redface.gif I bet they thought it was weird of me looking at a manly tool for purchase. It made me feel uncomfortable so I just left. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif I told my daddy and he said they probably just thought I was a contractor, he's funny like that. But anyway, as I walked out of the store I thought about if anyone else had felt like this too while purchasing their "cake tool". My dad said he would go with me next time so I can buy it. icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

First - how old are you? icon_confused.gif

Second - a bench scraper is a culinary tool. It's something you would buy at stores that sell kitchen items, like Bed, Bath and Beyond.

http://www.preparedpantry.com/bench-scraper-and-cutter.aspx

Were you perhaps looking at drywall tools? http://www.akiskitchen.ca/tools/bakers_corner_cakes/cakes_tools_equpiment.html#drywallspatulas

In either case, why would you walk out without making your purchase? I seriously doubt anyone cared what you were doing in that store, as women shop for tools all the time. If you are too paranoid/insecure/whatever to shop in a "manly store" then head to Bed, Bath, and Beyond to pick up a bench scraper. In my experience, they work MUCH better than drywall knives.

My bench scraper is in my top 5 list of all-time favorite cake decorating tools. And it does double-duty transporting chopped veggies, nuts, etc from cutting board to pan, bowl, etc.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:23am
post #16 of 26

Oh, duh, if I had read anything below post #2 I would have seen the references to BB&B. And the references to what the guys were really looking at. LOL

Yes, hon, it is true - they were checking out your boobs, not your drywall knife. icon_lol.gif

Men. icon_biggrin.gif

need2sleep Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 7:15pm
post #17 of 26

Oh guys you are so funny. I don't consider myself hot, but thanks anyway. I do look younger than my age though. I'm 34 and people think my 15 year old son is my brother and my sister is my mother. Go figure. Anyway, I figured a bench scraper was a type of carpentry tool or something. I was looking for something in that area. I do go to HD alot, either with my husband or by myself to the gardening area, I made a quick stop by myself and got a little self concious when I noticed the stares. When I told my dad and he chuckled too. He also said they thought I might be a contractor or something. But I will return...no doubt about that! It just caught me off guard. But I will also be trying BBB. I like that store too.

Thanks a bunch!!
Sandra

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 7:40pm
post #18 of 26

Sandra you were in the right place. The home improvement stores have a much better selection, i.e. size, price, etc. than any Bed Bath and Beyond. All of my "bench scrapers" (putty knives, wall paper smoother, paint scraper etc.) came from Home Depot and Lowes, and they're great for smoothing BC.

As far as shopping at Lowes or Home Depot, in my house I'm the painter, wallpaper person, leak fixer, etc. Being the youngest of 8 kids I grew up following my older brothers around. They taught me everything I know, thank goodness, because my DH can barely change a light bulb without asking me which way to turn it. icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif But, don't tell him I said so. icon_wink.gif

need2sleep Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 11:07pm
post #19 of 26

DKelly27 - birthday.gif Happy Belated Birthday!! Thanks for the tips!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:53am
post #20 of 26

Thanks for the Birthday wishes! icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:14pm
post #21 of 26

The home improvement store is my favorite place to shop! icon_lol.gif We've remodelled several bathrooms and painted out the wazoo so I'm pretty comfortable in the "men's" store. I take after my dad in that I'm pretty good mechanically. When we put molding up like baseboards, crown molding or chair rail, I am ALWAYS the one that does the cutting and I will admit that I'm pretty good, even better at it than my dad is. I think those genes came from my maternal grandfather as he was a finish carpentar.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. icon_redface.gif

When hubby and I were in Lowe's getting mdf cut for bases, my hubby starts telling the guy about the elephant cake I'm going to make and he starts asking me how much I charge for one! icon_eek.gif His wife loves elephants and he would love to get her one for their anniversary. Of course, I already had pvc pipe and connectors and flanges in my buggy for the elephant's "skeleton". Yep, I love Lowe's!! thumbs_up.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:35pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

I LOVE it when I go in Lowe's or Wally World to buy stuff like that. I especially love the reaction of the saleserson when I tell them why I'm buying the equipment! I tell them ON PURPOSE!

In fact, the first time I did Melvira's paint roller method, our church maintenance guy was in the kitchen. When he asked why I had a paint roller.....I showed him! His expression was worth a million dollars! Then he said "Wow! That REALLY WORKS!" I've "splattered" luster dust paint and painted using a textured roller (LOVE this look) so now, the guys at the church just figured it's another one of "B's" crazy ideas! LOL

Beth in KY

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 1:51pm
post #23 of 26

I shop at Lowes all the time too. Go in and get whatever you want and dont let them intimidate you and by all means tell them what you are getting the tools for and watch their faces.

need2sleep Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:48pm
post #24 of 26

Everytime I read a new post from you guys it makes me smile. I love reading your stories. I will be going back to my HD today and purchasing my "tools". It's amazing to me that cakes can be created with the same tools and even materials that a house needs.

Sandra

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 4:48pm
post #25 of 26

I missed the paint roller for frosting somewhere... what the heck are ya'll talking about?

Do you use the typical roller for texture or what?

Please enlighten me!

LittleMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMom Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 5:16pm
post #26 of 26

I am an industrial chemist, a highly male-oriented field, and I'm also teeny tiny. (4'11'' - that's why I'm LittleMom!) I'm frequently looking for tools and items from HD and Lowe's - hammer drills, concrete tools, power sprayers, etc... and I think mostly what guys respond to is my smile - and my cuteness, of course!

But...

When I was working on garage floor paints and automotive adhesives, I had some of my funniest times. I needed a tire for a test once. This was the conversation:

"I need a tire - cheapest one you have."
"What type of car?"
"No type, just a tire, please."
"We have to look up the rim size."
"There's no rim. There's no car."
"How do you know what tire to get?"
"Doesn't matter. I'm going to cut it up."

And just yesterday at Autozone -
"Can I help you find something?"
"Nope, just need some motor oil."
"What kind of oil were you looking for?"
"Least expensive."
"We have different kinds for different engines and climates."
"Doesn't matter. I just going to put it in the oven."

I live for those looks!!! Just like the gravel for the cake and the icing paint roller! LOL! Love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%