Impression Mat Before Airbrush? What About Freezing?

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm by Rocketgirl899

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 17

Okay, working on the cake below..... and i have a few questions.

1. I am doing an imprssion on the top and bottom layers. Should I airbrush (gold) before or after?

2. Per Sharon Z, I will put the cakes in the freezer before stacking.... will this ruin the airbrushing? If so what should I do instead? I was thinking if I let the AB dry for a few hours, or over night it would be ok (but I really wanna stack tonight, I think..)... any thoughts?

Thanks!

BTW the colors are more a gold and gold/light ivory.. not green... icon_smile.gif ohh but the ribbon is green. And flowers are acutally calla lillies.
LL

16 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:09am
post #2 of 17

imprint then airbrush., you can freeze the cake but when you take it out you cannot touch it as it will smear the airbrushing. the condensation will bead up and the surface will become wet. I really try not to refridgerate or freeze a cake thats been ab if i can help it.

i would imprint, freeze, stack, then once all the surfaces have dried off, cover the areas not being sprayed with strips of paper towels then airbrush.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:41am
post #3 of 17

thanks sweet.

i will take your advice!!!

even though I think AB after I stack will be interesting, i think its the best idea icon_smile.gif

thanks!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:58am
post #4 of 17

Beautiful cake, I am by no means a pro icon_smile.gif ...but I would do the impression mat before the airbrushing. There could be the chance that the mat could pull away some of the AB coloring.

I also would have to go with Sweetcakes reply,...that would be the way I would try it. Good Luck, can't wait to see the finsh cake.

God Bless,
Sharon

EDITED TO SAY: Sorry, didn't see you had reply Rocketgirl, till after I posted. I am slow icon_lol.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:41am
post #5 of 17

no worries!!

I thought that if I impressed after I AB, I might go through the color to the white icing...

It is always nice to get feedback. If you would have given beter advice and been like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and a good reason... icon_smile.gif I would have maybe tried your way.

I am fighting with cream cheese frosting right now (its winning). I didn't realize it was so dang soft! I should have listened to the post i glanced at an hour ago about mixing it with BC. oh well. I will not fear the icing!

oh its going to be a lonnnnng nighticon_smile.gif Will post photos when I am doneicon_smile.gif

Sharon, you working on any cakes tonight?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:42am
post #6 of 17

no worries!!

I thought that if I impressed after I AB, I might go through the color to the white icing...

It is always nice to get feedback. If you would have given beter advice and been like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and a good reason... icon_smile.gif I would have maybe tried your way.

I am fighting with cream cheese frosting right now (its winning). I didn't realize it was so dang soft! I should have listened to the post i glanced at an hour ago about mixing it with BC. oh well. I will not fear the icing!

oh its going to be a lonnnnng nighticon_smile.gif Will post photos when I am doneicon_smile.gif

Sharon, you working on any cakes tonight?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:43am
post #7 of 17

also, the inspiration (ok I basically copied it!) for the cake was from kelipops... here is hers..

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1273276.html

I just hope I can make mine look half as good!

grannys3angels Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 7:13am
post #8 of 17

No don't have any cakes tonight, I only do cakes for friends and family...so I don't get to do many cakes.

It's o.k., because I really don't think my body could take doing many cakes icon_lol.gif I have faith in you Rocketgirl, you will beat that cream cheese icing, you can do it! thumbs_up.gif

Here, I am sending Cake Angels your way. Good Luck!

God Bless,
Sharon

Rocketgirl899 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 7:33am
post #9 of 17

This is my first real paid cake.

I THINK I beat the cream cheese. lets hope it stands up to FL weather tomorrow.

impression mat first was a great idea... stacking the cake before AB is.... hmm maybe not as good. I am trying to keep from over spraying but its hard! Overall its working icon_smile.gif

grannys3angels Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 8:40am
post #10 of 17

You'll do great! as I said before...I have faith in you and you'll get it.
Congrats on your 1st. paid cake, and I will cross my fingers on the FL. weather for tomorrow.

Well, I am off to bed and I will look for your pic of the cake tomorrow. Good Luck again and I am sending my cake angels your way also. Going to bed, not doing a cake, so I don't need them tonight ...they are on loan to you icon_lol.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

Rocketgirl899 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 8:53am
post #11 of 17

thank you thank you thank you!

alil jealous you are going to bed.. icon_smile.gif
hehe

ive been cleaning the kitchen, just decided I might not make it to bed.

I'll try to post a photo tomorrow, but most likely Sunday for sureicon_smile.gif

Have a great evening.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:27am
post #12 of 17

Sharon, thanks for the angels.. they really helped icon_smile.gif
LL

grannys3angels Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #13 of 17

icon_surprised.gif Oh My Goodness, Rocketgirl...you really rocked that cake girl, stunning thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

It is beautiful!! you did an outstanding job!, I knew you would, I had faith in you girl icon_biggrin.gif. You should be very proud of yourself. O.K. now I have pick my jaw up off the floor icon_lol.gif

Your welcome for the thank you on the cake angels...but I am going to have to have a talk with them, because they don't help me make cake that great! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:48am
post #14 of 17

yes, it is INCREDIBLE!!!!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:17pm
post #15 of 17

Beautiful! For the bottom layer did you impress, AB, then overpipe?

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:33pm
post #16 of 17

BEAUTIFUL CAKE! You definitely won!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm
post #17 of 17

exactly handy mama.... then I ABed the ivory luster as well over the scroll

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%