Off Brand Pudding In Cakes?

Baking By Mom2ANC Updated 15 Nov 2008 , 6:46am by CakeMommyTX

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 5

My favorite doctored cake mix recipe have pudding in them. In fact, the chocolate cake that I get the ravest reviews about is a doctored mix. It is the recipe with the pudding and sour cream and extra eggs and chopped chocolate. But, with a box of pudding at close to a dollar now, it adds a lot to the price of my ingredients.
I saw that Walgreens had Royal brand pudding for only 25 cents a box this week. I was wondering if anyone had tried this brand of pudding before and if it was OK or if it would make the taste of the cake "off"

4 replies
forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:17am
post #2 of 5

I use and LOVE the target brand pudding mix. I use the large box (5.9 oz) and it's $.69. The smaller box is more expensive...not sure why.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:24am
post #3 of 5

I always use generic.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:16am
post #4 of 5

i always use generic for everything, one time, decided to use "brand name" did not notice a difference.

as a side note, most foods are all produced in same factories, and just boxed differently, generic foods usually just mean that they don't spend as much on advertising and packaging. Remember when there was a problem with peanut butter? it was like 3 different brands because they were all made in the same place, with same recipe, just packaged for each company. it really bothers me when people look at me and say "oh, i have never had store brand, I only feed my family the best and i buy brand name, guess what, all you are doing is just spending more, its the same freaking food! okay, i will step down from my generic soap box now LOL

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:46am
post #5 of 5

Some things store brand really are better, not to mention cheaper. I use the walmart brand ps and marshmallows,the marshmallows are whiter and the powdered sugar requires no sifting, the cheaper part is just a bonus.
Same with the HEB brand shortening, it still has transfat in it and Crisco does not, and once again it's about a buck cheaper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%