What Else Can I Use To Make This Ball Shape?

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 15 Nov 2008 , 2:33pm by beenzee

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 9

I'm going to make Wilton's gobble it up cookies (pic attached) and they use a chocolate made in the sports ball pan for the round ball that is the turkey body.

I really only need the cookies and don't want the body to be edible. Other than cake or candy, what else can I use to make this ball?

I thought of styrofoam covered with fondant but I hate to waste the fondant on something that's just for show and won't be eaten.

Any ideas? I'm going for cheap and easy icon_lol.gif
LL

8 replies
rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 9

How about a sheet of felt or brown fabric...even brown paper? icon_wink.gif

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 9

sorry, trigger finger...

use suggestions above for covering styrofoam? Can reuse both after the event...

projectqueen Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 9

I was thinking about brown felt. Think that would wrap neatly enough around a ball? Wasn't sure if it would get all pleaty and wonky.

Also, another thought. In the instructions, they are using a 6" sports ball pan and 8" lollipop sticks. Don't those leaves in the back look much more than 2" above the top of the ball? icon_confused.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 9

How about a head of lettuce or a pumpkin or some kind of squash? Or something else from the produce department?

projectqueen Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

How about a head of lettuce or a pumpkin or some kind of squash? Or something else from the produce department?

Now that is seriously thinking outside the box. I never would have thought of produce...hmmm.... thumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 9

Then there's always rice krispies treats! They're edible, but they're quick and easy.

cutthecake Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 9

And, as I look at the picture I have another idea. How about a round, large cookie, from same dough as turkey's head? In the picture, the ball sort of looks flat. Cut one edge of the cookie off so it will stand up, then arrange the tail feather cookies behind it.

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 9

I was thinking cookie too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%