If You Are Looking For A Different Rollout Cookie

Baking By cookiemookie Updated 17 Nov 2008 , 2:31am by yankeegal

cookiemookie Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 4

Try this one out!

I was browsing through my old Christmas Cookie Magazines and came across this one.

I made them yesterday and baked a sheet today. They are really different and kind of tasty. They do not spread at all, I did bake them frozen like I do all my rollout cookies. I used Anontia's icing on some just to get a taste and I liked them. The whole wheat flour gives them a nutty taste.

It was from a Better Homes and Garden Christmas Cookie Special Issue 1995.

Brown Sugar Cutouts

1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup butter or margarine
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
1 tablespoon warm water
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
1-¾ cups all purpose flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour
Semisweet chocolate pieces, melted, and/or milk chocolate pieces, melted (optional)

Beat shortening and butter or margarine in a large mixing bowl for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and beat until combined. Dissolve coffee crystals in the water. Beat coffee mixture, egg, and vanilla into creamed mixture till combined. Beat in as much of the all-purpose and whole wheat flour as you can with mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. (I had no problem using a Kitchen-Aid stand mixer)

Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.

Roll each half of dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-to¼-inch thickness. Cut dough into desired shapes using 2- to 2 ½- inch cutters. Place on cookie sheets lined with waxed paper. Place sheets in freezer till cutouts are firm. Transfer frozen cutouts to freezer containers, placing waxed paper between layers (or what I do is put them directly on the sheet, and then bake them frozen further assuring they wonât spread)
Store in freezer up to 6 months

Makes about 50 cookies depending on size of cutters you use.

To bake: Remove just enough frozen cutouts from freezer container to fit on ungreased cookie sheet when placed 1 inch apart .(Return remaining cutouts to freezer till needed. Bake in a 375 oven for 6 to 7 minutes or till edges just begin to brown. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Remove cookies; cool on wire racks. Pipe on melted chocolate if desired or frost with your choice of icing.

I'm going to try and post pictures in my gallery later today.

It was a good experiment!

3 replies
mandifrye Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 4

Thanks for taking the time to share! I can't wait to try them, they look delicious (i peeked at your pictures!).

Thanks again,
mandi

TracyLH Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for sharing this, Rose! icon_biggrin.gif

yankeegal Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 2:31am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%