How To Make Bc Mums?

Decorating By Chippi Updated 15 Nov 2008 , 2:30am by Chippi

Chippi Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 10

Hi CC Members icon_smile.gif

Does anyone know how to make mums with bc icing? or even a tutorial? I was going to do a Thanksgiving cake and I haven't tackled mum's yet. Thanks a million for your advice.

Chippi icon_smile.gif in the making!

9 replies
all4cake Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 10

directions for royal icing mums are on this page, with pictures. I do my buttercream mums the same way I do my r/i ones.

dmhart Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 10

I would love to know too!!

all4cake Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 10

I just want to say that I don't make the full round ones out of b/c.

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 10

I love Mums because they are so easy to make and look very pretty.

BCJean Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 10

To make buttercream mums, you first make a circle of buttercream about the size of a nickel and let it mound up to about 1/2 inch tall, (keep it flat on the top though, not cone shaped like for a rose). Use a #80 decorating tip and starting in the center of the mound, attach the icing to the mound and then pull up for a petal. Make 3 petals in the center then make a 2nd row. Continue making petals in rows around the center. As you get further out the petals are laying down more with each row, so by the time you get to the edge of your mound of icing the petals are horizontal with the mound.

Callyssa Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 10

When we learned in class we were told to use a tip #80 (Bakery Craft...I don't know if the other co's use the same numbers). I only practiced them a few times and wasn't all that happy, but from what i remember you're supposed to make a nice big ball of icing in the center of your nail first with a #12, then starting at the bottom use your #80 with the "c" facing up like a smiley face and kind of pipe and pull slightly up and out at the same time. When you get the bottom row done go just above that and do the next, etc. until you get to the top.

As I said, I wasn't all that impressed, and i have a feeling there's a better way to do them, so I'd be curious to see what others have to say.

Okay...I just looked it up in one of my I allowed to write out the directions as they are written? They are actually basically the same as what I just said, except they said to use a #81, and #5. It also says to make each new row of petals shorter than the previous one. HTH

kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:52am
post #9 of 10

The trick to making them really pretty is:
make your mound; start the petal making at the bottom of the mound by pushing the tip into the bottom of the mound & pulling out 1/4" long petals, keeping the tip flat against the nail. Each petal should touch the previously piped one (don't space them apart) and keep them shorticon_smile.gif For the next row start between two petals already piped on the bottom row and do the same thing as you did on the bottom row all round the mound only this time you hold the tip *slightly* at an upward angle. For the 3rd row, you again start between two already piped petals and hold the tip at more of an upward angle & use a motion similar to the letter J - touch mound; squeeze while moving the tip slightly downward, then pull it up rather sharply. Each row of petals should be a bit shorter then the previous one. You should now have a pea size hole at the top of the mound that is uncovered. Stand your tip straight up & down and pipe 3 stand-up petals.

If you use a parchment cone you can color stripe paste color inside the bag, then fill w/another color. Adjust your tip so the stripe of color is at the bottom of the 'u' shaped tip. This will put a nice color on the bottom of each petal. This *canNOT* be done w/a pastry bag or disposable bag. It will ruin the pastry bag and just bead up in a disposable one icon_sad.gif

Chippi Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 2:30am
post #10 of 10

Wow you all! Thanks so so much, I can't wait to make them now! I will post a pic once I make it. I think I will do use RI so that I can do them ahead of time. With all these great instructions I'm all excited to make a thanksgiving cake now....haha. I would have answered you all earlier but I went to a home health nursing job interview and got the job!! The interview lastnight hour and half...longest one yet. I get my own office and everything. I told them I do make cakes so hopefully I can do some for everyone there. Thank you again for the great info on not just mum's but the links for the other flowers also. The instructions are awesome too! Have a great weekend!

Chippi icon_biggrin.gif in the making!

Quote by @%username% on %date%