Cupcakes Or Sheetcake For Homeless Shelter?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 3:02pm by Susie53

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 9

Next weekend my husband and I are going to help serve dinner at a local shelter, I called them and asked if I can bring a cake or cupcakes or something, they said sure.
I asked which would be best, they said it was up to me and they are grateful for anything.
Now the turn out is anywhere from 50-100 people a night, so which should I do, a full sheet cake to cut and serve there, or individual cupcakes?
Has anyone ever done this and if so any advice?
What about flavors,should I just do basic 1/2 white 1/2 choco or something special?
Also would it be too much if I individually bagged some cookie so they can take some with them?
Sorry for all the questions, I've served food at shelters before but never provided it.
Thanks in advance.

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 9

I think cupcakes would be better because it's grab and go they wouldn't have to designate someone to serve them and they wouldn't have to worry about someone getting a bigger piece than someone else, I don't care who you are it's no fun getting the little slice of cake LOL Anyhow, I think making a whole sheetcake would probably be sooooooooooooo much faster and easier for you. So I guess it's your decision. If you make a cake would they just serve it right on the same plates as dinner or are they going to need more plates/forks?? that's something to consider too!
Kudos to you for helping out as well, nice to see!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 9

Thats what I was thinking, sheet cake=easier for me, cupcakes=easier for them.
I think the cake will just go on the tray with everything else. Usually its just a long table and the dessert is at the end and the last thing to go on the tray.
I 'm leaning towards the cupcakes though, I think they would be easier to serve.

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 9

Kudos to you for your generous nature! That said, I also think that cupcakes would be much easier to serve!! Good luck, whichever you decide!

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 9

I would go for cupcakes. Although it will be more work for you, it will mean that each person feels special enough to receive their own cake. When someone has gotten to the point of needing handouts, even the smallest things can help with your sprints. I know it sounds a bit silly, but sometimes those small things can make a huge difference. This will be especially true if there are children that will be present at this meal. Cupcakes represent a small ray of normalcy for them that otherwise they might not get very often, if at all.

Kudos to you for this spirit of generosity!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 9

In a sense I think, cake. How many times do they actually have a piece of cake especially made with love. It might be a little more work, the cutting and handing out where as the cupcake they just pick up and go. I guess if I put myself in their shoes since we do cakes, would you rather have a cupcake or a piece of cake? I would choose a piece of cake. It's just a personal thing. Thanks!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 9

I think either one would be just fine. I would like to say that your idea of providing a cookie or two in a bag is a wonderful idea. (If you could do this in addition to the cake.. it is a big bonus). When my niece was younger she had to do a service project for church. We baked chocolate chip cookies and put 2-3 cookies in a zip-lock bag. We sent them to a soup kitchen and the feedback from the nuns who ran it was great. God Bless you for your generosity.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:44am
post #8 of 9

How wonderful it is of you to not only step up and help out at the shelter, but to go above and be thoughtful enough to suggest an addition to their dinner. I am so sure that they are super grateful to you already.

My suggestion would be the cupcakes. For the obvious serving size reason but also for the ease of clean up and no extra plate/cutlery. The cookies would be the added bonus too.

Way to go. We need more people to do these sorts of things. Especially if you are able. Thank you for your thoughtfulness!!!!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 9

I would do cupcakes, don't have to worry with cutting and serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%