Butter Cookie Recipe Request

Baking By cutthecake Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 12:54pm by cutthecake

cutthecake Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have a GOOD recipe for these cookies? I have a recipe, but it's not good. It's actually TOO buttery!
OK, so I don't know how to post the picture from the internet. I'll try to describe them.
The cookies are often called Italian Butter Cookies, and they are lady finger shape and size; sometimes they have ridges; they're filled with raspberry jam; then dipped in chocolate, and sprinkles. No calories there, huh?
I guess what I'm looking for is a great butter cookie recipe. And how do you shape or extrude your butter cookies? Gun or pastry tube? Or something else?

8 replies
JoAnnB Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 9

I use a cookie press. there is a dye with a flat wide opening that is ridged on one side, flat on the other.

If you like your recipe,you can modify it by using part margarine and a little vanilla. that will soften the 'buttery' overload.

cutthecake Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks, JoAnnB!
I was looking for a tried and true recipe. I'd hate to tweak a recipe and have it be inadequate.
I have a 1970's-era "Super Shooter" that I use to make spritz cookies; it's sort of an electric cookie press. I guess I can use that.
Recipe anyone?

cutthecake Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:59am
post #4 of 9

Doesn't anyone have a recipe to share?

jescapades Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:37am
post #5 of 9

i have a butter cookie recipe, but i don't think it will make what you are looking for. you are welcome to try it.

1 cup butter softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon butter flavor
(or 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla)
2 1/2 cups flour

cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
add egg and flavorings and blend well.
blend in flour.
cover and chill dough for 45 minutes.
preheat oven to 400*F.
place by rounded teaspoons on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
Cool on wire rack.

kneadacookie Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 9

this is the recipe i us. it may be a little heavy to use in a cookie press.
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour

cutthecake Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you for the recipes!

rocketmom1985 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 9

Oh, I remember these cookies from my childhood in Chicago...yumm!
For this type of cookie, yes, use your cookie press or supershooter...use a spritz cookie recipe...for plain butter, just use vanilla flavoring. Remember not to refridgerate the dough before using it in the press...it is a hassle to do...

Here is my favorite cookie press recipe...

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 large egg yolks
3 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Colored sanding sugar
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, flour, salt, and vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
Fill a cookie press with the dough, and turn out cookies 1 to 2 inches apart onto an unbuttered baking sheet. Sprinkle cookies with colored sanding sugars.
Bake until the cookies are lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. To ensure even baking, rotate sheet halfway through the baking process. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool.

You can use any type of flavoring...my mom and MIL loved these as trees flavored with half almond and half vanilla. I also have used orange and lemon. Do make sure you use real butter. Just call me Martha wannabe!

These NEVER fail to get rave reviews...

cutthecake Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for all the recipes. I can't wait to make them.
Rocketmom, what kind of jelly/jam do you use for filling? And what kind of chocolate do you dip them in?

Quote by @%username% on %date%