Mmf = Marshmallow Failure

Decorating By UltimateCakes Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 8:27pm by UltimateCakes

UltimateCakes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 11

SO I tried MMF for the first time last night. I guess I rushed into it, because I didn't add the water with the MM when I melted them. How melted are the supposed to be? Liquid? Near liquid? ??? Then I didn't grease my hands icon_sad.gif and I looked like I was part of the clean-up crew in Ghost Busters! LOL I rolled it and kneaded it with the powdered sugar. I only got 3/4 of the bag done (after only doing half and then adding tablespoons) before it was too hard/dry to accept more. WHAT DID I DO WRONG???? I wrapped it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge. Can I still use this??? Thanks for your help.

10 replies
MARTIEQZ Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 11

You can try microwaving it at 5 - 8 sec intervals to see if it will soften. More time than that might get too hot. MMF is all I use, but I don't knead it. I prep it with my Kitchen Aid.

bethola Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 11

Well, my first couple of times failed. But, I didn't see you mention Crisco at all. Did you use it? I have put a couple of TBSP in with my marshmallows when I melted them and then hand mixed them so I could feel the texture of the dough.

I'd let my dough get to room temp and then mix some Crisco into it. It should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Beth in KY

Ooocakes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 11

I would think you could just put it in the microwave and soften it alittle and re-work it but I dunno... since you skipped the water step.
I make it by
1. Grease your bowl.
2. Put mini marshmallows and 1 tablespoon of whatever extract
3. microwave until completely melted (runny) make sure to check it and stir it every 30 seconds (add your color at this time if you want)
4. Grease my hands and wrists (or you can grease a spatula)
5. Put about half a bag of powdered sugar into the melted marshmallows and combine it... add more powdered sugar if it is still sticky.
6. once it is combined put shortening on the outside and wrap it in saran wrap.
I have put it in the refrigerator but you can just leave it out as well and let it cool. If it is so hard to work with after you cool it... I have had to put it in the microwave for like 10 seconds to make it pliable.

Here is a pretty good video on how to make it...

UltimateCakes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you all for your help. I will heat it up tonight to get it more pliable. It wasn't sticky when I stopped working with it, so do I still need to use more powdered sugar? Pray for me - I really hope this works. I'll keep you all informed and post pics early next week. Thanks again!

7yyrt Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 11

You do not always need all of the powdered sugar. It depends on the humidity you're working in. You didn't do anything wrong about that.

You've already heard my other suggestions. LOL

SILVERCAT Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 11

I have NO luck with making MMF, so I feel for you! I hope that you can get it right. But if you can't try makig rolled BC instead, I like th taste of this better than MMF. Good Luck

UltimateCakes Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 11

Finally got it to work out just fine. Thanks for all the advice. Check out the Gift Cake in my photos, let me know what you think.

glendaleAZ Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 1:42am
post #9 of 11

Hi UltimateCakes,

I just heard about this recipe today, everyone on the thread said it works really well and tastes great. Maybe next time you may want to give this one a try.

Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant
1/2 cup milk
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp - for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
dash salt
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)
*note - all tablespoons and teaspoons are level, not heaped

- combine milk and gelatin & allow to firm
- cook over double boiler until gelatin is dissolved
- add remaining ingredients(except sugar) & cook until butter is almost melted
- cool to lukewarm (I come back to it and stir periodically so it doesn't form a "skin" on the top or get clumpy)
- strain into mixer containing 2 lb powdered sugar (one bag)
- mix slowly until just combined
- use dough hook, add several more cups of sugar, & mix on low until combined
- continue to add sugar until it holds its shape on hook
- turn onto powdered sugar surface & knead
- wrap in oil painted plastic wrap and put in ziplock freezer bag
- let stand for 24 hours before using

I always coat my hands, counter, and rolling pin with shortening when I'm ready to use. I also have powdered sugar on hand to dust with if it seems sticky, to firm it up a little bit. I had to do it a couple of times to be able to tell when I had added enough powdered sugar. If it is too stiff, I just add a tiny bit of water, and use more shortening on my hands/counter/rolling pin and that helps to add more moisture and flexibility. Be careful when it's mixing not to let it get too hard, or it will be difficult to work with and you'll have to do a lot of "adjusting" to get it the consistency you want it! I would rather it be too soft and be able to add more powdered sugar as I knead.

UltimateCakes Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 11

Here's the pic of the finished Gift Cake. Thanks for looking and thanks for all the advice! !! Much appreciated!!!

UltimateCakes Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%