Help!!! Cake Not Baking Right!!

Decorating By mamasmakincakes Updated 15 Nov 2008 , 12:31am by agarcia2222

mamasmakincakes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 6

HElp!!!! I am baking my cake for tomorrow and the middle isnt baking but the top already is brown! I am making the wilton guitar pan and I put it on the middle rack and preheated it! It isnt baking right! AHHHH!! I am using DH yellow cake mix!!!

5 replies
SILVERCAT Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have a flower nail in the middle? Have you actually checked the heat with a oven thermometer or are you just going by what you set the oven at? If so try lowering the temp on your oven.

mamasmakincakes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 6

I have now lowered the oven temp to 325 so we will see how that goes...I dont know what a flower nail is

JanH Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 6

Here's a picture of a flower nail (which is being used in place of a heating core):
(Grease and use with flat side down in pan.)

Heating core:

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

The above thread has frosting and cake recipes and SO MUCH MORE - including info on using flower nails and bake even strips...

kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:21am
post #5 of 6

Please tell us how this turned outicon_smile.gif For future knowledge:

It is very possible your oven is overheating. Do you have a thermometer in it? Definately you need to bake at a lower temp with those shaped pans as they are made of a thinner metal so bake quicker.
Another option is to place the pan in another pan of water to bake. The water filled pan will slow down the baking on the bottom & sides of the cake. Bake even strips only help the sides. Since this is a pan problem you need to cool the bottom also.

agarcia2222 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:31am
post #6 of 6

Definatly lower the temp. The lower temp will help the center of the cake bake while not affecting the outside much more. It will take a while for the cake to bake. The wilton shaped pans are usually pretty deep and the baking temperature may need to be adjsuted. If you do not want the top any browner, cover with foil. Check on it after a while, i'm sure you'll see the cake will start to bake. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%