Hydrangea Cutter And Veiner From Global Sugar Art

Decorating By StellaLuna Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 12:10am by BlakesCakes

StellaLuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StellaLuna Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:13am
post #1 of 4

We recently purchased a Hydrangea cutter with silicon veiner from Global Sugar Art and I am very unsatisfied with the way it works. For starters, the large cutter is too big for the veiner. So that is the first issue, I am constantly having to trim the edges while it's in the veiner. The second issue is the veiner appears to work fine until the gumpaste dries. Then the lines are gone or at least very hard to see. So I tried to make the flowers thicker and it appears to work, until it dries. Again the veins disappear. The cutter and veiner was $26, and Global Sugar Art's policy is no returns on silcon veiners so my question is, has anyone purchased this from them and if so, did you have any trouble? Any suggestions for me? The gumpaste I am using is Wilton's powder that you add water and powdered sugar to. Thanks for you help! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:01am
post #2 of 4

I use the same gumpaste and the same cutter set, and have had one of the problems you mentioned. icon_smile.gif

The veining is very prominent on mine. Are you applying enough pressure to it? Maybe push down a little harder?

The thickness I use for the gumpaste is probably comparable to, just a bit thinner than a credit card, let's say? icon_confused.gif

The large cutter is indeed initially "too big" for the veiner, but I assumed that's because it has to compensate for the center "hole". When I press the two pieces of the silicone veiners together, the piece of gumpaste sinks down inside and a petal or two does sometimes stick out the side. (You can see that indentation when you zoom in on a few of my pink flower cupcakes, posted here.) Does that happen for you too? I find that if I position my gumpaste more carefully and exactly, this doesn't happen as often....but sometimes I'm in a rush! icon_razz.gif

I do find that I have to dust the veiner with icing sugar lightly every 5+ flowers or so, but never found that to be a bother at all.
LL
LL

Anny81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anny81 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 4

They are so beautiful!!!
I'm looking for this cutter of Sunflower sugar art, but I live in Italy and I don't find an online shop that can sell to Europe, can you suggest me? icon_redface.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:10am
post #4 of 4

The set sold by Global is by Sunflower Sugar Art.

Yes, the larger cut out is so that when pressed into the deep center of the mold, you still get a nice, large flower.

As for the lines disappearing, that has nothing to do with the mold if the lines are prominent after molding wet paste. It means that the paste is "shrinking" as it's drying.

I recommend making your own gum paste. The recipe on Global is basically the Nick Lodge recipe:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/?id=21

Or, use s pre-made gum paste. I really like the Wilton pre-made. You knead in a bit of crisco and get a lovely, smooth paste that dries quickly.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%