Making Fondant Characters - Using Glue?

Decorating By TNugs Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 3:27pm by TNugs

TNugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TNugs Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:45am
post #1 of 6

I am going to try for the first time to make fondant barn yard animals. I figure it can't be much harder than making stuff with playdoe right?

My question is what do i use to make the fondant parts stick together? I was watching a video on youtube and she kept saying "glue". What is this? Sugar water?

Also is MMF okay to use for making these characters? What is gumpaste?

Thanks for all your help!!

5 replies
momade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momade Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 6

Yes, you can definately use MMF for your figures. You can use a little water to stick your pieces together or edible glue. Here is instructions on how to make some edible glue.

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 6

I use water with a clean, food use only paint brush but remember less is more!!! You don't want the water running everwhere. And it is sort of like playing with clay! I even use clay modeling books for inspiration.

Fondant taste better than gumpaste and does not dry as hard. I like fondant better especially if it is a child's cake because they want to eat those little guys. You can also use raw spaghetti noodles or fettuccini noodles ( I like fettuccini) when connecting the heads if necessary.

bj

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:31am
post #4 of 6

Careful using spaghetti or fettuccine to connect the heads to the bodies if the cake is going to be eaten by children. Although I am not sure how serious of a choking hazard these would be they could cause harm. You can use a little melted candy melt to connect them and it hardens fast.

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoSweets

Careful using spaghetti or fettuccine to connect the heads to the bodies if the cake is going to be eaten by children. Although I am not sure how serious of a choking hazard these would be they could cause harm. You can use a little melted candy melt to connect them and it hardens fast.

This could be true for a lot of stuff we put on those cakes and I was assuming that you would explain to the client they were in the cake/animals. I give all my new clients a paper explaining how to properly cut their cake and what non-edible/edible items were used when additional support is needed. (i.e. dowels, popsicle stickes, pretzel sticks and spaghetti) icon_smile.gif

bj

TNugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TNugs Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 6

All of you - thank you so much for all the tips and links to videos etc...this is SOOOO helpful! I think the spaghetti idea is a great one! i will definitely be careful if/when my little ones go in on it. Thanks again everyone. This site rocks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%