Homemade Fondant

Decorating By KraziCakes Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 2:36pm by AlamoSweets

KraziCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KraziCakes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 11

I am having trouble with my home made fondant - I can roll it out, but it is just simply not stiff enough to drape a cake. I can do some decorating, sculpting, etc, but it is simply to "limp" and fragile to cover the cake - I've even tried making my own white chocolate fondant.
PLEASE HELP!!! Homemade taste sooooo much better but is practilly useless to me right now!

10 replies
Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:17am
post #2 of 11

Did you wait 24 hours before trying to use it?

KraziCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KraziCakes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:21am
post #3 of 11

Yes - I've even waiting as much as 1 week but still get the same results - I've read on some other posts about peeling the baking off after you flip it on the cake - I may try that, but am still worried it will tear - maybe roll it out thicker?

Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:27am
post #4 of 11

You could try it thicker. I always peel the backing off after flipping it on the cake and I have never had that problem. You could always try adding more powdered sugar.

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:30am
post #5 of 11

What recipe did you use? I always us Michelle Foster's recipe. Sometimes when it is really humid it's not as stiff so I knead more powdered sugar in.

HTH

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:33am
post #6 of 11

I added too much corn syrup to MMF once and thats what happened, so if your recipe calls for corn syrup, maybe cut down by a tablespoon or so?

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:37am
post #7 of 11

I was just PMing another CCer about my troubles with MMF! I use Rhonda's Ultimate from this site. I love the taste, but it is a little bit limp. I usually end up just adding more powdered sugar than called for. It works well enough, but it does stretch out quite a bit when I drape it on the cake. It's fine for draping a whole cake in fondant, but I made a shoe box cake last weekend and I tried to drape a piece of fondant on the cake for the box lid, but it stretched out too far down the sides of the cake. I ended up just using some kitchen scissors to trim it. It was okay, but not near as "crisp" or straight as I had hoped! I hope to read some other suggestions on this thread. . .

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:43am
post #8 of 11

Not sure whose recipe it is but I use 1-16 oz bag of mini marshmallows microwaved with 4 Tbl. of water for 1 min 30 seconds (stirring when done). I pour it into a mixing bowl with 1-2 lb bag of powdered sugar and let my dough hook on my KA take over until it looks like it has mixed the powdered sugar in as much as possible. It is very sticky at this point. I then pour it out into a pile of powdered sugar and knead until it is stiff. I have found that I can use it right away and don't have to wait overnight. I do roll it out a bit thick just to make sure!

jcaste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcaste Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:50am
post #9 of 11

hey alamo sweets,

i believe thats the same recipe i used but im having a hard time. it feels extremely hard. what did i do wrogn?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 11

you added too much powdered sugar. Thats always the problem. Add Crisco and/or a bit of corn syrup and it should perk up

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 11

Coat your hands really good with shortening. If it doesn't ease up a bit microwave it for 12-15 seconds and it will be workable and the shortening will help too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%