Looking For A Stuffing/dressing Recipe

Baking By kimmypooh79 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 5:31pm by Callyssa

kimmypooh79 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 12:02am
post #1 of 3

I am looking for a stuffing/dressing recipe for Thanksgiving. I'd had this dressing at a someones house that we no longer talk to b/c of a divorce. Anyway, it was smooth, not chunky like most dressings. I could taste herbs and seasonings of course. I really liked it but I've never made dressing so I don't even know where to start. Anybody have anything similar to share with me. I did try to email that person that made it but it's been 2 weeks and no response. TIA!

2 replies
grannyrose Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:38am
post #2 of 3

Our family has always ate a sage giblet dressing - don't know if that is what you are looking for, but at least it will get you started. I am sorry that we have never used exact measurements.....tear 2 regular size loafs of bread into bite size pieces - set aside and let dry. Boil the turkey neck, liver, gizard and heart in a pan of water until very tender - remove meat from neck bones and finely chop the liver, gizard and heart - set aside. Finely chop 1 cup of celery and onion - cook in 1/2 stick butter until soft. mix bread, turkey giblets and celery mixture. Add rubbed sage until you think you have enough - then add a little more. At this point you may add the water that you cooked the giblets in if you like more moist stuffing. Stir well and season to taste. Add 4 to 6 beaten eggs and stir until well blended. We always stuff our turkey with this mixture but not until we are ready to put the turkey in the oven. You may also cook the stuffing in a covered casserole dish in a 350 oven for approximately 45 to 60 minutes. Hope this helps

Callyssa Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 3

Maybe they used seasoned bread crumbs instead of bread cubes?

I just boil some chicken broth with celery, onion, garlic, sage, and butter. Oh, and pepper too. Then I used a mixture of about half Pepperidge Farm seasoned bread cubes (sage and onion) and regular white bread torn into small pieces. I just add the boiled mixture until I get the consistency I want. My MIL lays the neck, giblets, etc. on top of hers then bakes, but they really gross me out! So I don't use them. I'm sure they help flavor the stuffing though. I bake mine in a separate bowl also. Plus, the way I do it, I only have to bake it long enough to get it warm, I don't have to worry about cooking any meat through.

My sister is doing Thanksgiving this year and sit down......she's making STOVETOP!!! I generously offered to bring the stuffing and she said she didn't like homemade stuffing, so it will be Stovetop! Which I do use throughout the year with regular meals sometimes, but not Thanksgiving dinner!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%