Help!!! Cake Won't Bake!!!

Decorating By shannan6607 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 12:08pm by AnnieCahill

shannan6607 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannan6607 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 8

OK, major issue here. I hope someone else has had this problem and knows the answer. I have been having problems lately baking my cakes. It started out only happening when I baked a chocolate cake. I put it in the oven and it just turns into choco lava. It will just pour into the oven and when I give up on it, after 40 minutes or so, it will just pour into the sink, boiling. It has started happening now with other flavors. I use Duncan Hines cake mixes along with Dream whip.

Anyone know why this might be happening???? Help, I'm counting on y'all!

7 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:04am
post #2 of 8

what temp are you cooking at?

maybe get an oven thermometer to make sure you are at the right temp?

I recently had a REALLY runny batch of DH.....

Don't give up! Try baking longer.... just to see if you can get it to bake.. even over bake. Maybe try a heating core?

shannan6607 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannan6607 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:14am
post #3 of 8

I am cooking at either 325 or 350 depending on the cake size. I am using a heat core, flower nail and regular. No matter how long I leave it in there it just boils. It doesn't even bake against the side of the pan!

I am so frustrated. you said that you had a runny batch of DH? Maybe they have changed something in their mix? Anyone else having a problem with DH?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:29am
post #4 of 8

I think i had a bad batch.... but I also used x-large eggs, adn over beat......

whats the longest you have left it in? When I bake at 325 i feel like it takes forever....... definitely had cakes take about 50- an hour today.... to bake.

sorry, I know its frustrating. good luck

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:50am
post #5 of 8

You are following the mixing directions - using exactly the ingredients & measurements they recommend?
Do you have a thermeter in the oven? Are you *sure* it is at the right temp. Do you pre=heat the oven?
Does the batter *really* acutally boil and not bake? Definately sounds like too much liquid in the batter.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:25am
post #6 of 8

brrmmm brrrbrmmmm... kakeladi to the rescue!!

definitely makes sure your oven is pre-heated..

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:55am
post #7 of 8

There is only one way this can happen. Your flour to water ratio is off/way off. Think about it for a min. If your making something on the stove, I.E. custard, gravy, anything with a starch as a thickener. When it starts to boil that starch begins to set up.

Mike

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 8

I had this problem twice with DH chocolate mixes. I added pudding, an extra egg, and milk for the water. It essentially exploded in my oven, which made for a pretty nasty mess. I did make DH chocolate cupcakes recently and didn't have a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%