Please Help! With Wilton 3D Egg Cake...

Decorating By sumomo

sumomo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumomo Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 1

Hi, I'm completely new to baking, I'm having my first born in Feb, so I've just purchased all this stuff to practise baking all sorts of cakes for her when she's born.

The first cake I will need is a 3D egg, I have purchased the Wilton Egg pan, baked the cake lastnight...covered in a Ganache which is 2:3 ratio cream:chocolate. This morning it has not hardened! I really shouldn't have changed the planet cake ganache 1:2, cream: chocolate ratio right!?

Anyway so now I have 2 half eggs, sitting on a cooling rack covered in wet ganache!! At the end of the day, I want to cover the cake in a red fondant. I have never made MMF but I'm hoping I wont have too many dramas with that.

Can someone help me with the steps I should be taking here? I made a mess putting the cake back down onto the cooling rack after levelling it!...I think when I pick it off again...it's gonna fall apart on me, so I was thinking I'll just try and cover them in fondant ON the cooling racks, and then turn them both around at the same time. Does anyone advise against this?

I will be starting again after this one...I was thinking, next time, I'll bake the 2 halves, shove it in the fridge overnight before cutting it....so it doesnt fall apart on me in the first place....(because it has a little), then put the ganache on....fridge it again so it gets hard....then...I was gonna cover each half individually with fondant...and cover the line with a gold ribbon!

Can anyone suggest better steps for me? I'm making a real mess here haha....should I combine the egg first THEN try to cover it with fondant? I'd have no idea how to cover it that way. I've actually never used fondant, so I have been youtubing for instructions like crazy!

Also, how would you guys hold up the egg in the first place? I was thinking, to mould the leftover fondant, so that he may hold up the egg? if I leave out a piece of fondant like that, will it harden enough to support the egg do you think?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%