Any Great Low Fat Or Low Cal Cake Recipes Out There? Do Shar

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 5:49am by auntsteff

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 9

Anybody have great low fat or low calorie cake recipes for those of us TRYING icon_wink.gif to lose weight but still want that great cake taste every now and then!

8 replies
sillyjodes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyjodes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:35am
post #2 of 9

I replace oil with applesauce or pureed fruit or pumpkin in my regular recipes. Besides that, I just eat a tiny slice and give the rest to my hubby. I've recently taken up running. It helps because I love sweats and can't resist them!

sweetneice Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks sillyjodes! I'll try that! Loving sweets is the enemy to my personal trainer! Lol!

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 9

Try www.cookinglight.com

I've used a few cake recipes from there and have been quite happy. Plus they have the nutrition info on each recipe should you want to know the numbers.

One of my favorites for this time of year: Pumpkin Orange Cake http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=701058
My family, who complain about "healthy" desserts not tasting good, absolutely love this cake. It's a Thanksgiving staple now.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:52am
post #5 of 9

I once baked apple-banana cupcakes and *shudder* FORGOT the sugar. I was not trying to make them healthy, I honestly just forgot it (it was a quickbread style recipe where you just dump everything in, no creaming). Because of the apples and bananas, they actually weren't bad. When I added cream cheese icing they were actually fantastic! Now I KNOW icing isn't healthy but the point is at least the cupcakes had a huge reduction in sugar and if I was going to ice them anyway, I came out ahead in the nutrition dept.

MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 9

I just bought a really great book called "Enlightened Cakes" by Camilla Saulsbury. I've only made one recipe so far, but it was delicious and way lower calorie! (it was chocolate cupcakes with mocha frosting). It has tons of recipes that are lower cal/fat but still sound wonderful. Maybe you might want to check it out and see if it has what you're looking for. HTH!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 9

Well this idea is not low calorie it is a higher calorie actually--but it adds a balance to the sugar. I substitute almond meal for some of the flour. Almond meal is just ground almonds so that's high calorie but it's really good protein and it keeps the sugar from rocketing you up high and stalling out and then slamming you back down as blood sugar levels do when you eat sweets. I buy it in the health food section of my grocery store.

Make half or quarter recipes is another idea.

sweetneice Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:22am
post #8 of 9

Thanks you guys for all your suggestions! I really appreciate it and if you have any more please feel free to share them as much as possible! I'm trying to be versatile in my recipe department! Does anyokne know if there are any chocolate cake recipes that I can use without compromising taste

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 5:49am
post #9 of 9

Sorry this is so long. I have a friend that is on a very low fat diet trying to avoid gallbladder surgery.

I agree with sillyjodes...

I use pumpkin and/or applesauce in place of oil in my personal cakes. ALL of them, even the chocolate ones. (On a side note, I have a friend that regularly subs black beans for oil in her cakes, but I'm not that brave, haven't actually tasted this b/c she lives out of state from me.) My guinea pigs (co-workers) have never realized that there is no oil in the cakes I bring in.

I also use fat-free buttermilk (usually powder that I find in the baking section) to replace just about any liquid called for in a cake, water, milk, etc (makes the cake SUPER moist). At the very minimum, unless a recipe specifically calls for whole-fat milk, I use skim milk.

I frequently use eggbeaters instead of eggs to cut out fat. If there is a Walmart near you, look for Jiffy cake mixes. One box is equivalent to 1/2 of a regular cake mix. There is a recipe on one of the boxes for a pumpkin spice cake that is WONDERFUL, and makes great cupcakes, too, and is very low fat.

Anyway, look into substituting to reduce fat calories. I used to be terrified of changing any ingredients in a baking recipe, I always heard you had to follow those to a "T". Not so. I have gotten so much more adventurous recently, and discovered that a lot of recipes are forgiving when I use substitutions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%