Hmmm... A Patent Or A Bakery? Omg

Business By Cakenicing4u Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 2:29pm by Kay_NL

Cakenicing4u Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 22

icon_surprised.gif Ok, so i'm the one that one at the auctions, and now have the stuff to open, the $15 G to help... and I keep getting turned down by the bank. Now i've found out that I could sub-lease half the building I want to off-set my costs and let me open at a much more reasonable level, still with 2000 SF.... I've got the web link to a local wedding site lined up for less than $500 a year, and customers literally calling my cell phone to try and order.

And today, I meet with a candy guy who loves my ideas so much he's going to look at getting a patent on my idea with both our names on it, and he's interested in having me design a new production line to execute my idea, and bringing 30-40 jobs back to our area, and sending me anywhere i want for training, on and on and on. It's an incredible opportunity...

But I don't know if I can do both!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Time will tell, I suppose, but OMG..

21 replies
cylstrial Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 22

Wow! They both sound so awesome! Just becareful around that guy. Make sure that he's not stealing your idea's and that you really are going to be a part of it. (Sorry, my husband is in his last year of law school...and I just worry about people).

Karema Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:24am
post #3 of 22

Why do you need his name on your products to patent them. You can do that on your own and have your name used. I'm not understanding .

SugarFrosted Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:29am
post #4 of 22

I smell a scam...be very careful. Do your research. And yes, you can patent it yourself.

Cakenicing4u Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:38am
post #5 of 22

Please, TEACH ME about patents... I know cakes... not legalese... I don't know anything right now!

cylstrial Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 22

Good! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way about the guy. To be honest, I wouldn't even let him see what you make or your secrets.. He could try to steal your info and put the patent in first. If that happened, you would have to be able to prove that you created it first. Maybe you should go to a notary and take your stuff.. so that he can say that yes, as of such and such a date, you created this.

Cakenicing4u Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 22

I know to be wary, so all my sketches and things come with me. The first time we met he talked about a percentage of profits when we get the line going... and there's the job offer still pending... and it's crazy... he's even offering to send me for training... we talked about chocolate, and I said I've only dabbled in Wilton Candy Melts and molds... so he said, we'll get you trained! It's not nuclear science we have here... just a different way of looking at an old thing... As details come through, I'll tell ya more. Because it's his money being used to patent it, develop it, manufacture it, buy the equipment, start the line, use his building and hire the people... I don't feel at all like I'm going to get screwed... but it pays to be wary!

leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:35pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakenicing4u

Because it's his money being used to patent it, develop it, manufacture it, buy the equipment, start the line, use his building and hire the people... I don't feel at all like I'm going to get screwed... but it pays to be wary!

Ummm . . . yeah. It's all his stuff and his money. And as soon as he learns how to do whatever this is, he won't need you any more will he?

Seriously, you need an attorney. Now.

akgirl10 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 22

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I would call an attorney tomorrow, and try to do as much as you can on your own. It's your idea, you should profit from it.

Lenore Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 22

I also agree with everyone else. YOUR ideas are YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY!! He can steal it so easily now that he has the information.

katefrosting Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 7:21am
post #12 of 22

You need to speak to an attorney who specializes in Intellectual Property. The attorney can explain to you what patents, copyrights, or trademarks are issued for. At the very least, before you discuss any ideas with anyone else, you need to have them sign a "non-disclosure agreement." Their signing the agreement doesn't mean they might not steal your idea, but at least you have something to hang your hat on in court.

If you mention this to him and he balks at it, run, don't walk away. If he is okay with it, make sure you have your own attorney--not his.

playingwithsugar Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 7:40am
post #13 of 22

Well, you can lease him your patents, but don't let him put his name on it.

And yes, now that you have revealed your ideas to someone else, you had better get to an attorney pronto and get your ideas protected.

Good luck in your venture.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kay_NL Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 12:27pm
post #14 of 22

It really sounds like you are going to get screwed over... Time will tell, but I wouldn't go running towards the money because if it sounds too good to be true, then it is.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm
post #15 of 22

Ok, I'll join in on this hysteria icon_razz.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakenicing4u

.....and bringing 30-40 jobs back to our area, and sending me anywhere i want for training, on and on and on....

and when you get back, those 30 to 40 people will have learned to do what you do for half the money. Like Leahs said, get an attorney. icon_cool.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 4:09pm
post #16 of 22

I think your best best thing to do would be to get a lawer first!!!! Cover all your bases..........

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 4:09pm
post #17 of 22

Cover your bases and get a lawer ASAP!!!!

BayouGatorFan Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 7:59pm
post #18 of 22

Please, please, please, do not speak with this guy again until you get in touch with an attorney! He may be legit and if so, he will wait for you. My father-in-law developed a device to assist mother pigs in delivering their offspring. He took his prototype to a fabricator to get it made in stainless steel. The fabricator took my father-in-law's drawings and patented the idea as his own and made a small fortune off of it in the livestock industry. This kind of stuff happens all the time, in all industries - don't risk it. If your idea is all he thinks it is, then it will wait until your more comfortable to move forward. The first step is to stop and let everything around you calm down. Don't be rushed into anything - you just may regret it in the end.

CakeForte Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 9:11pm
post #19 of 22

I agree with all of the posts above, but not only that...a patent does not equal money. Have you actually seen how many patents are on the USPTO site? tons! So let's say he is legit and it works out and you get the patent. But if no one buys the idea, or doesn't think it could go mainstream, it wont sell. There is nothing wrong with keeping your original plan AND pursuing this as well to see what happens.

jenncowin Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:01am
post #20 of 22

Okay, I have to agree with everyone on the lawyer and to protect your idea, but I have one question....What is the patent going to be on?????

debster Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:00pm
post #21 of 22

I agree with the lawyer idea, I trust NO ONE now a days. It's terrible , but most people now a days especially in the business world are cut throat. Hoping the best for you!!!!! Stay honest.

Kay_NL Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:29pm
post #22 of 22

I'd also like to know what idea he is so excited about and wants to patent... I looked through your gallery and you do great work, so I would go with your first (bakery) option....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%