What Can You Make From Gumpaste? And How?

Decorating By sweetcakesva Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm by Cakechick123

sweetcakesva Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 24

Wanted to start a thread to post all our ideas for molding out of gumpaste. I thought it would be easier to access different animals , people, things (whatever you can think of!) in one thread. Making sort of a go to thread when you need a jump start on molding a new figure maybe you have never tried! I am just starting to mold with gum paste, I have one head I made for a Rock n Roll cake (it is in my photos) but I really want to expand my depth in molding with gum paste. I am attempting some people for a nativity cake for Christmas! I'll attach photos and directions when I am done!
Lets see what you can do! Help me learn (and all the other newbies to gumpaste) everything we can do with gumpaste! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

23 replies
SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 24

How do you get a smooth round ball? I want to start molding but can't get it smooth for shaping with no cracks! I am thinking about using fondant and adding some GP to it. But I would rather use GP! Have any tips you want to share? I have no problems with working with the premade fondant.

jjkarm Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

How do you get a smooth round ball? I want to start molding but can't get it smooth for shaping with no cracks! I am thinking about using fondant and adding some GP to it. But I would rather use GP! Have any tips you want to share? I have no problems with working with the premade fondant.

It's easier to get a smooth consistency is you combine GP 50/50 with fondant. Plus it gives you more working time before it dries. Also what kind of gum paste are you using? I make my own gum paste and have found that some GP recipes are easier to use when making figures then others.

SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

It's easier to get a smooth consistency is you combine GP 50/50 with fondant. Plus it gives you more working time before it dries. Also what kind of gum paste are you using? I make my own gum paste and have found that some GP recipes are easier to use when making figures then others.

Thanks for the tip. I had a gift card so I just bought some of the pre-made stuff.

ddaigle Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:44am
post #5 of 24

What should i use to get different parts to stick together. I want to paint them first let them dry and then put them together. Will it be different if i use the 50/50 of GP an MMF?

sweetcakesva Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 24

i just use extract I think some people use vodka

sugarwishes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 24

This is probably a really stupid question, but im gonna ask anyway lol. Do people actually eat anything made out of gumpaste? I've only heard people talk about eating fondant, never gumpaste, but I'm just curious if its even edible, and what about if its mixed with fondant?

Biya Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 24

it is edible just don't think anyone would want to. might chip a tooth on it and it doesn't taste good

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 24

I have eaten some small gumpaste flowers and they were really good.Crunchy but not teeth breaking!

kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:37am
post #10 of 24

Eating GP flowers would be about equal to eating egg shells as the gp is rolled very thinicon_smile.gif As kiddiekakes said, crunch but no where near tooth chipping.

Many people who work w/gp &/or 50/50 mix prefere to use gp thinned down to a mud consistency. Some use egg white others water to thin down about a marble size lump. Keep in a glass jar in the frig. Should last at least a couple of weeks; much longer if using water.

Dried gp can be glued to wet (fresh) gp; Wet gp can be glued to wet but you cannot glue dry to dry.

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:56am
post #11 of 24

so does tylose added to fondant make gumpaste?

does anyone use tylose??

mandifrye Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 24

No, tylose added to fondant does not actually make gumpaste. It does however, help the fondant to dry harder and more quickly.

I use tylose and fondant mainly for all of my modeling. It seems to work for me, and my clients have had no complaints!!

I have modeled several things, but I just kind of look at a picture and disect it into simple shapes and go from there. So, giving a step by step would be hard for me. Maybe the next time I model, I will take some pictures of the different shapes.

One important tip I learned was about the eyes of characters (people or animals). Roll a dowel making an indention right above the character's nose. This will act as the indented area for eyes. Then take the ball tool and make two sockets. Fill them with a tiny amount of white paste and smoosh (technical term icon_lol.gif ) them down so that the creature will not be bug eyed. Finish the eyes with some colored paste. I always add lashes and pupils by hand painting! (Learned that from Lorrianne or Aine2!) She has some GREAT tutorials!

That may not be so clear, but hey, I tried. Let me know if I can help!

Mandi

mouse13 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 7:46am
post #13 of 24

how do you make the nose on the people?

mandifrye Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 2:23pm
post #14 of 24

To make the nose I roll a tiny ball of paste and kind of form a triangle. Then, I glue it to the face using a little water. While it is still plyable, I use the stick tool (with the pointy end, I have NO IDEA what that it called), but a toothpick would work, too, to make two nostrils. I then kind of smoosh (technical term again! icon_lol.gif ) it down into shape. Unless, I am making a witch. In that case, LEAVE IT POINTY! icon_lol.gif

HTH -

Oh, here is an okay tutorial on making a face! Aine2 has one, but I can't find it! icon_cry.gif

laura1029 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 24

Does anyone have any suggestions for drying calla lillies? All of the cups, etc. I have tried either make them rip or make them dry flat. Thanks!

mandifrye Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 5:03pm
post #16 of 24

Foam or make-up sponges work great for drying flowers for me. I have also used a cookie sheet covered with loose balls of paper towels. The paper towels help to give different petal different shapes to create movement!

HTH

lecrn Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura1029

Does anyone have any suggestions for drying calla lillies? All of the cups, etc. I have tried either make them rip or make them dry flat. Thanks!

Dry them on cone cups. The kind that are used for office water coolers. I found some at Lowe's. You could also just make the cones out of paper.

sweetcakesva Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 3:57pm
post #18 of 24

thanks for the faces info! I am going to try! I attempted a rudolph but it was too soft, fell apart. Do you all use 50/50 gum paste/fondant?

countryfam Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:32pm
post #19 of 24

Okay, I'm new to posting on forums, but I have a question and need some advice.... I have an order for a cake where the top will have a celestial design of half moon half sun. For the sun though the rays need to come out of the sides of the top of the cake. I thought gumpaste would be a good idea...only one problem, I've never worked with gumpaste before so here are my questions:

Can I add color to it just like fondant?

Should I do a 50/50 mix for this type of project so it doesn't dry to quick?

Once the rays are made, will it work do you think for me to just stick them into the cake? Or is there a better way to make them stay?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:13pm
post #20 of 24

........any suggestions for drying calla lillies?........

What I have done is drape the long, pointed end over a flower former. If they are not big enough for a ff, the tuck some paper towel under that part that you want curved. HTH

kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #21 of 24

.........Can I add color to it just like fondant?.....

Exactly icon_smile.gif It does dry a tad lighter than either b'cream or fondant.

....... 50/50 mix for this type of project so it doesn't dry to quick?.......
I'd add some fondant but I don't think I'd go 50/50.

........Once the rays are made, will it work...to just stick them into the cake? Or is there a better way to make them stay?.........
I know when I stuck some dried fondant decos (to stand up) right into the cake they quickly softened and fell over icon_sad.gif Since I seldom worked w/'real' gp I am not sure what will happen.

countryfam Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:48pm
post #22 of 24

Thanks for the advice... I'll let ya know howit works out.

MBoyd Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:28pm
post #23 of 24

Re: drying calla lillies:
Have you tried using those water cooler cups that are pointed at the end? (they look like paper ice cream cones) You can dry the calla lilly upside down.

Cakechick123 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryfam

Once the rays are made, will it work do you think for me to just stick them into the cake? Or is there a better way to make them stay?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

if you make the rays from pastillage you can stick them straight into the cake, that stuff dries like a rock.

if you want to use gumpaste you can use the long cocktail sticks and stick them into the rays when still soft. you can then poke the cocktail sticks into the cake.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%