Please Help!how To Hold A Head In A 3D Cake

Decorating By meliais Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 11:02am by meliais

meliais Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meliais Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 19

I need to do a 3d cake theme pocoyo and the mother of the boy want a 3d pocoyo, so i dont know how to hold the head, and i dont know the proportions head-body, I dont know anything about 3d cakes!

As you can see, this cartoon have a big big head, so i need ideas to make it as realistic as posible, and, if it it posible make it all with cake.

Help please!
LL

18 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 19

RKT for the head with a dowel into the body! Good Luck

meliais Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 19

thanks......but I havent work with rkt before.....it is easy to do the shape of the head? how? with my hands or should i use a cake pan?

What about the smoothnes? any advice?
i really apreciate your help, thanks

SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 19

I have read here that people actually crush the RK more so they get a smoother surface. I would think you could mold them with your hands, I have only worked with them a few times and that was before I read about crushing them more. I think people put them in a food processor.

fem128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fem128 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 19

I recommend crushing the rice crispies, makes for a firmer structure and smoother appearance. You will probably need to put a couple of dowels in the body in order to support the weight head and also put a dowel through the head and into the body. Perhaps have the head sit on a small piece of cardboard. I would also use royal icing to help secure it. I hope I made sense! icon_confused.gifthumbs_up.gif

meliais Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 19

is there any posibility to make it with cake instead of rkt?

SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 19

Are you making the figure out of cake or fondant? My opinion would to be with go with RKT for the head and attach it once at the place the cake is going? How big is this going to be?

meliais Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 19

It is for 15 persons, not too big. I was thinking on sculpt the cake, body and head for separate, and then put it together, but as you can see, to make the pocoyo as real as posible, the head will be too big and maybe the body will not support the weight of the head......i dont know, maybe is better with rkt....or making the head smaller with cake,....

SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 19

Goo with the look of what they want. Explain to them that bc the head is bigger than the body you need to use RKTs. I don't think a cake that size for the body will support a cake twice the size for head.

meliais Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 19

thanks for your directions, cake is for sunday, so, i will upload the picture with the result of this adventure!
Thanks everyone!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 19

Hmmm, I do carved cakes but nothing like this. I'm thinking what would they do on the cake challenges?

They would probably us a PVC pipe for a center support. Place cake around the PVC pipe for the body and carve. Use RKT for the head. I'm not sure what they would use for the arms?

I can't wait to see how it turns out!

meliais Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 19

its been hours thinking and looking at the picture of this cartoon, trying to find the best way to do it.
Maybe if i put it seated, it will be better.....arms and head with RKT...
this is going to be funny....i will try to make a step by step article or something.
LL

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meliais Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 12:37am
post #14 of 19

Great!thanks for the photos.
I am 100% sure, that the big one is not edible.
I will keep thinking about this cake,as i said, sunday the nightmare ends!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:02am
post #15 of 19

Piece of Cake! icon_smile.gif take a wooden base board...then a round 8 inch Cut a 3/4 to 1 inch round wooden dowel as tall as you want him from toes to neck.

Screw the dowel into the center of the base board from the bottom...Then screw the round board centered on the top of the dowel.

Use LONG screws- and it is easier to actually drill holes with a smaller bit first...then do the screwing icon_smile.gif

If you stack 4inch rounds on the center dowel before you screw the top board on it will be easier. icon_smile.gif Carve the body- there wont't be many servings. Count the servings from the head mostly.

Then stack the head cake on the top board ....if you have a good carpenter- you can probably get him to shape the board -- but the round will be OK. When you get the shape in- pipe heavy crusting butter cream over the edges of the chin part to cover the board...not too thick- but enough to soften the edges. If you cover it with colored fondant- you know how to go from here! icon_smile.gif

if you are delivering it- make sure the bottom board is much larger than the top to anchor it- so it won't tip in the car- icon_smile.gif good luck!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:39am
post #16 of 19

That's exactly what I was thinking Janet....since the head is the biggest part make that the actual cake.

pbjoachim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbjoachim Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:58am
post #17 of 19

I basicly did what Janet is suggesting with these cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1280512

As you can see there is NO body at all icon_wink.gif The cakes are a bit 'scary' sorry, but it was for halloween. Each head is ~ one cake each from a 12x9x3 pan!

Each head has a small wood platform that is stacked 3 or 4 cakes pieces high. In my ganache recipe I use 2 1/2 lb chocolate to 1 3/4 c cream and that makes the ganache a bit more sturdy to sculpt. I also use ganache for underneath the wood platform and then cover that with fondant and that holds everything in nicely. Once the ganache sets it becomes very sturdy.

Good luck icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by meliais

I need to do a 3d cake theme pocoyo and the mother of the boy want a 3d pocoyo, so i dont know how to hold the head, and i dont know the proportions head-body, I dont know anything about 3d cakes!

As you can see, this cartoon have a big big head, so i need ideas to make it as realistic as posible, and, if it it posible make it all with cake.

Help please!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:00am
post #18 of 19

TooMuchCake's website... Directions for a standing person.
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Nightmare.html
Directions for a sitting monkey, if you decide to go that route.
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Monkey_see.html

meliais Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 11:02am
post #19 of 19

Wow! what a great idea! thankyou!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%