Ghirardelli Baking Chips For Dipping?

Baking By mommaroxy Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 5:43pm by mommaroxy

mommaroxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaroxy Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. I love the Spinning Leaf molds that everyone is using, I just dont have any yet. So, I picked up some of the ghirardelli milk chocolate chips to dip oreos in and was wondering if you all add shortening or not. I live up in the U.P. and all there is is a walmart with in 2 hours, so I take what I can get. When I have dipped strawberries I have done it both ways, but silly me cant remember which way I liked better!!

Any tips on how I can achieve a nice look without the molds? Could I use a small bowl? Would it just stick? I really want some of those molds, just cant do it right now. I keep telling hubby that they arent too expensive and Christmas IS coming up icon_biggrin.gif

I have to make the treat for the Cub Scout meeting on Monday and thought these would be fun...or I could always try the cake balls again, now that everyone has given me great tips! lol

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. God Bless

~Roxanne

4 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 5

Try using cupcake/muffin liners. (Assuming you won't mind the ribbed edges). The foil ones might be sturdier. They should be able to peel right off the chocolate once set.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:22am
post #3 of 5

Have you seen the Ghirardelli candy making and dipping bar? It's in about a 12 x 10 box. I buy it at Sam's Club.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 5

I don't have any of those molds. Just dip the cookies into coating chocolate and set them on a chilled cookie sheet covered with wax paper. I really like the way they look.

If your chocolate is too thick, you can add shortening to thin it out. Melt it, add a little bit until you get the consistency you like. Be careful not to add too much shortening or you'll be able to taste it.

mommaroxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaroxy Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 5

Sadly the nearest Sams is 2 hours away!! Next time I go to Wausau Im gonna be sure and go!

I went ahead and tried using the chips in a little plastic cup. It came out nice and easy! I was super surprised. It was a little thick though. AND when we ate them they did melt almost instantly! Dont think that will be good for cubscouts! So, I bought a thing of that dipping chocolate from Bakers. Anyone tried this??

Thanks for all the replies!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%