Cake Needed For V. Special Person - Any Ideas?

Decorating By marknelliesmum Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 7:59pm by marknelliesmum

marknelliesmum Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 13

Hi guys
One of my work colleagues is leaving and while we are all delighted for her we are also devastated to be losing her. She is such a kind, considerate and helpful person . I'm struggling to come up with ideas for a great cake, I want the theme to be 'all the luck and love in the world' or something along those lines, I also want it to be lovely for her but i'm only a hobby baker. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
Tweedie Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 13

Maybe your theme could be based around something about her...like what is her favorite flower/color, which would be a pretty simple cake but can be elegant and thoughtful at the same time. Or where is she going? Is it another state or city? If so, you could include something significant from that area on the cake.

gales Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 13

My daughter did one out of My Carole Deacon book for her MIL and her sister, who are not twins but share the same birthday week. They were going away for a few days and it was transported by car in secret to the location and did not come to any harm. It was a plain sheet cake covered in buttercream and fondant with simple flowers forming a bouquet. I am going to try and download the photo she sent me via email, but I'm not sure if this will work. The cake is simple to construct but looks really good

marknelliesmum Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks guys for your replies. Making it personal would be very difficult as she really keeps herself to herself, she has had an horrendous life both childhood and as an adult and doesn't really let people in so i have no idea what her favourite things are. Gales, i think i know the cake you mean I too have one of carol deacons books and there is a bouquet cake in that. I don't really know what I want except that i just want it to be very special for her.

nanikins Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 13

All the luck and love in the world, right?

How about the bottom half of the world filled with hearts and four-leaf clovers. If you have a round pan you could use one-half of it, or bake in an oven-safe bowl. You could make the hearts and clovers out of fondant or gumpaste or pipe them in royal and add them when dried.

Good luck with your cake. I'm sure whatever you make, it will be special.

amy2197 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 13

I really like the beehive cake with bees and and "you'll bee missed" i did one when i was starting out. it was received very well

shiney Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 13

Don't know what her profession is, but when my dear,dear work colleague left, I did a Steno machine cake, we are court reporters. But, she wouldn't let any eat it (good thing I brought another little cake), it's still in her freezer three years later! So maybe something related to the job or profession?

cinjam Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 13

I did a tissue box cake recently that was relatively easy (in my phots). My co-workers suggested, for the future, that it would be a good cake for someone who was leaving that we would greatly miss. Like we were all going to cry when the person left.

KHalstead Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 13

I love the idea of the tissue box cake

TC123 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 13

What about something with butterflies? Just a thought, for something pretty... Can also be symbolic, too, if you think about it. icon_smile.gif

BCJean Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 13

Maybe you could decorate the cake like a memory book and write on the cake, "You are leaving but our memories of you will always be here".

jennicita Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 13

Building on BCJean's reply, what about a book where all of the coworkers can write their own comments, memories, wishes using an edible ink pen?

marknelliesmum Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 13

Oh thanks soooooooooo much for all of your ideas - I'll talk them over with my other co-workers and see what they think. I've been doing some searching and came across chinese symbols for luck, love and happiness and wondered if I could maybe use them round the sides of the cake (just make it a black and white cake) and put a large butterfly on the top using the technique below. Do you think this would look silly? I really value your help!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=download&id=20111)
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1265096

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%