Does Anyone Know How To Do This Bow And Numbers

Decorating By TyTy78 Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 7:58pm by TyTy78

TyTy78 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 7

Can someone PLEASE help me...Is there a tutorial or some instructions on how to accomplish this fondant bow and numbers? I am going to attempt to do this for my 15 y/o cousins bday. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

TIA

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1287184.html

6 replies
cylstrial Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 7

Ok --- I'm going to attempt to explain this to you. Hopefully, you'll understand. What I recommend is drawing the ribbons out on paper to use as a pattern. This way they will all be the same width.

You will need two of the same size for the bottom ribbon (with the snips cut
out). Probably 3 or 4 inches long.
You will need two for the loops (each loop will get a piece). ( Probably about
5 or 6 inches long. Make it with your paper first to see if you like it and
what size you want it to be).
And you will need one additional piece to wrap around the middle. (This piece
will be a lot shorter than the other pieces, probably just 1 or 2 inches.

Ok -- so for the loops of the bow. You will just make a loop. Squish the ends together with gum glue.. and make them stick out so that you can wrap the final piece around it. You will also want to crumple a papertowel up and stick it in the loops so that the loop will dry as a loop and not be droopy. Do that for both loops.

After you have made both loops. Squish the two ends of the loops together, with gum glue. So it will kind of look like a sideways 8, but with paper stuck in between. The paper will have to stay for a few hours.

Now you just take your little piece of ribbon and wrap it around the middle of the bow with the gum glue. (On the part that you squished together).

The last part, for the pretty ribbons.. you will just take the ribbon and cut out the little snips at the end. Then you will take the ribbon and put the little bend in it. Lay it flat on the counter, saran wrap, etc and put a little paper under it to help the bend.

Now just time for assembly. Put the loose ribbons on the cake first. Then you will put the bow on. Glue them together in the back with gum glue.

Hope this makes sense. Goodluck! But start this immediately if you need it by tonight!

cylstrial Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 7

I also forgot to mention that when you fold the loops to dry, it looks like they overlapped it in a little bit in the front. So you will have play with that a bit. Goodluck!!

SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 7

There's a tutorial for the bow on CC in the article section. As for the number it looks like they used a clay gun and than worked the numbers in the form they wanted them to be. Also looks like they have a toothpick or something so they are free standing.

Win Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 7

Just PM summernoelle who created the cake. She's really sweet and helpful...

mandifrye Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 7

First off - read this....
http://cakecentral.com/article103-How-To-Make-a-Gumpaste-Bow.html

Then, it looks like she rolled long snakes to form numbers and supported them with sucker sticks. I would, however, use a wooden skewer instead, but anything like that would work!

You could also PM the artist, she is on here a lot and I am sure she would have some helpful tips!

HTH

TyTy78 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your help....I did PM her but had not gotten a response yet, but I will check again later. Again thank you, thank you, thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%