First Time Mmf Fondant...have A Question

Decorating By Tisha___ Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 7:38pm by juleskaye518

Tisha___ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tisha___ Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 6

I'll be making fondant for the first time tomorrow. I understand that it needs to be chilled overnight, but what I'm wondering is, do I bring it to room temperature before rolling it out or do I roll it while it's still cold?

Thanks.

5 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 6

It doesn't need to chill! Some people here let it "rest" over night, but some don't! I can't for the life of me make mmf so I use rolled bc! Good Luck

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 6

I've never chilled my MMF i just let it rest overnight sometimes for 24 hours and it is ready to go!

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 6

As others have said, it doesn't need to chill. I've quit making MMF as I find it to be a messy and frustrating disaster. I've switched to Michele Foster's recipe and I looooove it - it is very fast and very easy to make, it tastes yummy, and I've had good luck using it to model - it dries quickly with no little cracks anywhere! Good luck!

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 6

I love marshmallow fondant. I can't recall where I got the recipe; somewhere online, but I saw a tutorial on youtube and thought "what a messy prospect", so I was a little intimidated. But then I decided to use the dough hook in my kitchenaid stand mixer and do the whole kneading process in there. Fabulous results and I don't have a kitchen full of white sugary dust. First I grease the KA bowl and dough hook well with shortening. I microwave the marshmallows according to the recipe and then dump the melted goo into the KA and proceed to add the 10X sugar. In about 5 minutes I have a nice neat ball of dough. Then I dump it onto my greased counter and proceed to knead like bread dough. I let it rest in a ziploc bag on the counter overnight. The house smells great and the product is delicious. I use it to cover cakes, make ribbons, curlies, bows, etc. good luck.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 6

MM, I made chocolate MMF last night and feel the same way. I've learned to grease the poo out of everything, and had a great time. I use the dough hook and only add about half the powdered sugar then dump it out on a greased counter and kneaded the rest of the powder in. It is the easiest time I've had making MMF. I'll be doing more tonight too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%