Ouch Help Please!!

Lounge By Ah-na Updated 17 Nov 2008 , 4:22am by Ah-na

Ah-na Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, I've been getting charlie horses in my hip on and off for 3 days now. When it hits it stays for like an hour! It hurts so bad and I can't get them to go away......what do I do to make them go away!!!!!

11 replies
TC123 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 12

Oooooooo! I'm sorry to hear that! My mom always told me when I got charlie's that I wasn't getting enough potassium. She'd tell me to start eating bananas to help keep them at bay. I always get them in my calf area, and I'd do what I could to keep moving around so the muscle wouldn't stay knotted and spazzed. (Not sure if that'll help for the hip area, though.)

I hope you feel better, Ah-na!!!

juleskaye518 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 12

Eat bananas!! Also, when you aren't in the middle of a cramp, s-t-r-e-c-h. Try to do your best doing some basic stretches. I dunno, but a bath sounds like a good idea too.

Ah-na Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 12

Yeah I have heard about bananas too, but does anyone else know of any other food, I'm allergic to bananas. icon_cry.gif

susanmm23 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 12

you can buy potassium pills at walmart or target. or any other store im sure i dont think you are supposed to take them every day though so make sure you read the directions. also i learned in health class that when getting a cramp in your calf to pinch the middle of your bottom lip one finger in the mouth other out and pinch. oddly enough it works every time. im not sure if it will work for that area but its worth a try. also sometimes its caused from dehydration so try the pills and drinking more water before bed.

angelatx Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:35am
post #6 of 12

some of the sports drinks i think have potassium put into them. my husband gets them really bad too, he takes a pill, might be what susan said, not sure. he isn't here right now to ask. when i find out i will come back.
Angela icon_biggrin.gif Be well.

angelatx Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:40am
post #7 of 12

yes its what susan said, potassium pills. he took his everyday and he didn't get them again. not sure if you can take them everyday. you can ask your pharmacist tho. goodluck!! icon_biggrin.gif

cmp24 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 8:48am
post #8 of 12

when I was pregnant i got them in my legs almost very night while i was sleeping. You ll say potassium, my dr told me it was calcium. I started taking the tums with calcium because milk makes me sick to drink, and as long as i took 2 before i went to bed i never had another problem through any of my pregnancies.

Mike1394 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 10:04am
post #9 of 12

Be careful with potassium. Your body can only handle so much.

Mike

kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 12

Actually, bananas are not the prime source. Boiled potatoes; raisins; sweet potatoes all have good amounts of potassium. It is far better to get it naturally than from a pill.....I think you can control it better.
Check out these links: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/foodnut/09355.html
http://www.hoptechno.com/book29p.htm

JodieF Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:16am
post #11 of 12

My dad used to get really severe charley horses. Vitamin B-complex helped him. Quinine also helped a lot. Tonic water is a good source of quinine.

Dehydration is a major cause of muscle spasms so drink lots of water or caffeine free drinks.

Hope you get rid of the cramps.

Ah-na Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 4:22am
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much guys, I am feeling much better!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%