Christening Cake

Decorating By Lelly Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 2:53pm by TracyGreen

Lelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelly Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:42am
post #1 of 7

I have been decorating for about two years. It started with cookie pops and cookie bouquets and then last year I started doing cakes. I mostly use the shaped pans from Wilton but I have to say, they come really cute. Now I want to venture out and make my daughter's christening cake (my third daughter!) I have been looking at the cakes of christening dreses on this sight and they are unbelievable!

I made a dummy cake last week with fondant (because I had never used fondant) and it came good but I wasn't thrilled with the taste. Many of the cakes on this site used buttercream. How do you get the pleats with buttercream. I think the pleats make it look so much better. I am really dying to make this cake but I do not want to make it look horrible. Please help!!! I have to decide soon if I can do it because if not I have to order a cake.(Party is Dec. 7)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

6 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:57am
post #2 of 7

What kind of fondant did you try? If it was Wilton, that's the problem...it is disgusting! I would recommend trying Satin Ice or MMF - both tast great and will be really easy for you to get the pleats in the dress.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:01am
post #3 of 7

W/o seeing the exact picture you are trying to copy it's hard to advise you how to create it. Can you post a link to it for us?
I'm sure we can suggest something that will look nice for you with that help.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:22am
post #4 of 7

I personally think that for a christening cake the dress would look so pretty in fondant. Remember that the dress could go on top of the cake as a decoration and have bc under it all. But if you made a fondant dress try making it out of mmf. You can find great and easy recipes on here.

TracyGreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyGreen Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:25am
post #5 of 7

I am pretty new to this stuff myself and I too think Wilton fondant is awful tasting. I have seen alot of pics here mention MMF but I do not know what that is. Would someone please fill me in? Where do I find it?

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:31am
post #6 of 7

It is marshmallow fondant and there are quite a few recipes on here that you can try. I haven't tried any of the ones on the site yet, but I did try one from a book. I had lots of trouble with the way it stretched and broke on me. I'm not sure if my recipe was bad or if I did something wrong, but I got really frustrated with it. I have been using Satin Ice now for all of my cakes. It is really easy to work with and it tastes really good too. My 3 year old grabs chunks of it every time I get it out! icon_smile.gif

TracyGreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyGreen Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much. I will try to make it but like you I will probably use satin ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%