New Here, Fondant Question

Decorating By SweetMelsi21 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 4:47am by SweetMelsi21

SweetMelsi21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelsi21 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:40am
post #1 of 7

hi everyone. im new to the site, and im addicted! haha icon_smile.gif
anyway, have completed wilton courses I & II and im making my first fondant covered cake for course III on monday. my instructor told us to purchase two boxes of wilton fondant (although im sure she has to tell us to buy it..although she did warn us it isn't the tastiest.) i will go ahead and get it for this first cake since it is supposedly easier to work with, although beyond that i am wondering what the differences are between store bought and homemade MMF. also, about how much MMF does one recipe yeild?
thanks everyone for your help!

6 replies
smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:49am
post #2 of 7

i haven't ever used the wilton fondant, i made mmf for the class i took-i'll bet that made wilton happy. i think mmf is very easy to work with, it's about the consistency of pie dough, it has some "rebound" in it-if that makes sense. volume wise what it makes i'm not sure, i don't ever use the basic recipe anymore, i just add "enough" for whatever i'm making, but i'm thinking if the recipe you're talking about is the one that calls for about 10 0z of marshmallows, that would be enough to cover the 8 inch square cake. after you play with it some, you'll find you can just do like a cup of marshmallows and add in powdered sugar until it's the right consistency if you just need a bit for accents, etc. good luck and welcome

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:51am
post #3 of 7

I would soooo go with MMF it's tastier but I have to agree Wilton is easier to work with in a sense. But once you learn to work with it alright. I guess taste is more important for me. If you make it just as recipe calls I can cover a 12" cake with one batch of it and still have a bit left over for maybe a 4". Or just use it for flowers or other little things.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:56am
post #4 of 7

I am also taking Course 3 and our instructor recommended that we make the MMF to cover the cake because the Wilton is pricey and does not taste good (although we're not supposed to tell Wilton she said this icon_smile.gif). She also said we need to buy one small package of Wilton for the bow, since that is easier to work with and dried harder. If we really don't want to make the MMF, then we should buy one large box of Wilton for the class. I've made the MMF from this site and foudn it was trickier to work with than the Wilton as far as covering a cake smoothly, but my instructor said that may be because I mixed with the KitchenAid instead of by hand and was able to add too much conf. sugar. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE icon_smile.gif.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:12am
post #5 of 7

After i made my first batch of MMF i fell in love. So easy to make if you start mixing the conf. sugar in the bowl first. icon_smile.gif Good luck in class!

Chippi

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:40am
post #6 of 7

Hi and Welcome to CC, SweetMelsi21. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Here's anEverything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above thread has cake, frosting and fondant recipes and SO MUCH more including fondant usage charts.

HTH

SweetMelsi21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelsi21 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:47am
post #7 of 7

thanks everyone! ill let you know how it turns out. i cant wait to try making my own MMF!

p.s. i just realized my over-use of the word "although" in my OP..sheesh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%