How Much Is Too Much To Pay For Rental Of Commercial Kitchen

Business By Lenore Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm by ladyonzlake

Lenore Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 11

Hello, Is $40/hr too much to pay for renting a commercial kitchen in the late evening/very early morning hours? This kitchen also does not have enough room to share their refrigerator or freezer. I do not want to pay too much. I would appreciate your advice.

10 replies
Mike1394 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 11

Ask yourself if it takes you 4 hours to bake, cool, decorate, clean, and box. Can you sell that cake for 160?

muddpuppy Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 11

OMG!! I think that's WAY too much... We pay less than half that...I guess it depends on your city...

cylstrial Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 11

It does seem like a lot, especially considering the time of day that you will be baking (late evening/early morning), AND you're not going to have access to a fridge or freezer. Just my thoughts.

ladyonzlake Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 11

That is very high. I'm in Washington State and I rent a shared commercial kitchen. I pay $250.00 plus $40.00 for cupboard space a month. This includes 40 hours. Up to 80 hours is $500.00 and unlimited time in the kitchen is $900.00.

It's a large kitchen with walk in refrigerator and a large freezer. We have 4 convection ovens, stovetop, microwave, tons of counter top space, 4 qt mixers, 20 qt mixer, cuisinart, ect.

anku Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 11

This might be a stupid question....but whom do you contact to rent a kitichen? Bakeries, hotels, resturants??? Do you meet the owners and if you talk to bakeries don't they see you as a threat?

I want to now start looking for commercial kitchen opening my own shop doesn't seem to be a great idea at the moment....
Can you please pass me the details on how to go about renting a commercial kitchen??

Thanks a ton in advance!

ladyonzlake Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:08am
post #7 of 11

It wasn't easy for me. I searched for a couple of years. I found this once on Craig's List and she's a new business and this is a fairly new concept in my area. I do have to travel about 20 miles to my kitchen but it's worth it to be able to be "legal".

I was approached by a new cookie company in my area (10 miles away) but her kitchen is small, little refrigeration, no stove ect so unfortunatly it won't work for me.

On Craig's list I went under business listings and office space and typed in kitchen for rent.

anku Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:13am
post #8 of 11

Thanks so much!

Lenore Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 10:17am
post #9 of 11

Thank you so much for the input. I thought it seemed high.

Lenore Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 10:27am
post #10 of 11

Furthermore, I think that no refrigeration/freezer space is ridiculous! Would that not present a food safety issue? Where would I keep my eggs for goodness sake? In the trunk of my car!! I was shocked when she said I could not use her refrigerator.

ladyonzlake Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 11

The health department wouldn't approve that anyway. When they come to inspect you they want to know where you are going to store your ingredients and cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%