Show Me Your...

Baking By SILVERCAT Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 8:53pm by newmansmom2004

SILVERCAT Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 18

Rolling pin! I am looking for a good rolling pin, so I was wondering what you all have or recommend!

17 replies
shiney Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:17am
post #2 of 18

SO glad you asked this....I'm in the market for a new one as well...or putting it on my christmas wishlist icon_wink.gif

ski Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:19am
post #3 of 18

I actually use several sizes of PVC pipe the most, Additionally I have a huge heavy stainless one, and several old school wood ones. Frankly I love the PVC the most!

adven68 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:27am
post #4 of 18

I use a wooden rolling pin with handles. I hate the plain no-handle ones. They don't work for me.

Jayde Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:30am
post #5 of 18

Large wooden dowel for me! I had my BIL cut and sand it for me. The worst part was finding an untreated wooden dowel that thick! But the bonus is that he cut it reeeaaaly long for me, so that makes rolling out large batches of fondant super easy.

mgdqueen Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:32am
post #6 of 18

I bought myself a sil-pin last year for Christmas and I LOOOOVE it! It is nice and big, has contoured handles, non-stick surface obviously because the surface is silicone, and is counter balanced for really nice rolling with stainless steel ball bearings. I have the traditional, but there are many styles.

You can find it at www.fiestaproducts.com if I'm allowed to post that.

Katie-Bug Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:34am
post #7 of 18

I have several of the small plastic ones from Wilton, they are great for small pieces of fondant!

I have the wooden French style, I love for baking breads. They are not too heavy, which you don't want when working with delicate dough.

Then, I have a blue silicone and it is so heavy!! It is great for rolling out those large sections of fondant. The weight makes it easier on you, you don't have to put out as much force. I bought mine off eBay, here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Blue-12-Traditional-Sil-Pin-Silicone-Rolling-Pin_W0QQitemZ250319436116QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250319436116&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

yankeegal Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:49am
post #8 of 18

I have 2 heavy wooden, handle-less pins that I use to roll out cookie dough and the large and small Wilton fondant pins for fondant. I find that rolling pins with handles really bother my wrists when I am doing large amounts of cookies.

Uniqueask Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:04am
post #9 of 18

I have 2 from Wilton the long white plastic one and they brought out a New Yellow one this year, I just started using it and I find it to be Great, You can check out their website, it is listed under New products.

SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:26am
post #10 of 18

Thanks everyone for the help. Keep them coming!

SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:34am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

I bought myself a sil-pin last year for Christmas and I LOOOOVE it! It is nice and big, has contoured handles, non-stick surface obviously because the surface is silicone, and is counter balanced for really nice rolling with stainless steel ball bearings. I have the traditional, but there are many styles.

You can find it at www.fiestaproducts.com if I'm allowed to post that.

Do you have it with or without handles?

cakedivamommy Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:55am
post #12 of 18

Does anyone like or dislike the marble rolling pins?

BCJean Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:14am
post #13 of 18

I have a marble rolling pin which I have used for over 20 years. I love it. The surface is so super smooth. I like the heavy weight of it, makes rolling doughs easier. When I am rolling cookie dough or pie crust, I chill the rolling pin for awhile so the dough keeps chilled better and it rolls out so nice. I have a slab of marble which I roll the doughs out on also.

AnythingSugar Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:18am
post #14 of 18

I also have a marble rolling pin that I LOVE! It is very easy to work with and it rolls fondant easier than anything I have ever used.

Shazzicakes Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:42am
post #15 of 18

My marble rolling pin with handles is the best thing!! Fondant doesn't stick as easily as on the wooden one, and is nice and heavy. I find the finish is also smoother than if I use my wooden one.

mgdqueen Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:43pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

Do you have it with or without handles?

Mine has the silver handles. I really love how easily it rolls!!

SILVERCAT Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:52pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks. Can anyone tell me how they like or dislike the bakers style rolling pin?

newmansmom2004 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 8:53pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

Rolling pin! I am looking for a good rolling pin, so I was wondering what you all have or recommend!

I use four different ones. I use the long white Wilton one for fondant because I like the weight and the length of it. I use the little Wilton fondant roller for small amounts of fondant or for rolling out super-thin sugar flower gumpaste.

I have an old fashioned wooden one with handles that I've had for years and I use that for rolling out things I need to be even height - like sugar cookies.

The other one I use is a wooden French pin for things like biscuits, beignet dough, etc. I love the feel of it in my hands but it's not good for things that have to be an even height all the way across because it's tapered on the ends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%