Angel Food Cake

Decorating By Carolynlovescake Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 1:41pm by mjballinger

Carolynlovescake Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 5

I've never really gotten into these because they aren't a huge " thing for orders.

I want to do one for hubby's diabetic team members. I'd like to flavor it but have no idea how. Can I toss in some sugar free jello into the cake mix or will that mess it up?

Also does chocolate drizzle work with this or will it melt into the cake?

I'd like a "show stopper" for these guys because they are absolutely awesome guys who get the short end of the stick often by everyone (they are all tech support and have to be the ones to tell the customers "sorry you got sold the wrong items" "your system can't do what you were promised etc." )

These guys were super supportive when I was out of work earlier this year and when I took the halloween cupcakes in the diabetic guys were sad because all they heard about was how great they were. They didn't complain so I want to do something extra since they can't have my other cake I was asked to do.

The reason why I am sticking to angel food cake this time around is I have the mixes for it already along with the sugar free items.

So long story short... how can I fancy up the angel food cake mix and keep it diabetic friendly?

4 replies
HerBoudoir Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 5

One of my favorite angel food cakes is to add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon to the batter, then drizzle with a Gran Marnier glaze - really dresses it up. I'm not sure how you'd make a sugar free glaze though.

Melted chocolate will work fine for a drizzle - it won't disappear into the cake.

Using vanilla bean to flavor the cake will frou frou it up nicely.

You can add extract to the batter (lemon, orange, etc) and that should work fine as well.

cutthecake Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 5

That's really nice of you to want to do that for your friends.
Can diabetics have angel food cake? Doesn't the angel food cake mix already have a substantial amount of sugar in it? I'd hate for you to make something special for them, only to learn that they can't have it. And I don't know what the dietary limitations are for diabetics.

mjballinger Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 5

I just found this recipe in my Cake Mix Doctor book - it sounds good, but I've never tried it.

Chocolate Speckled Peppermint Angel Food Cake

1 package (16 oz.) angel food cake mix
1 c. water
1/4 c. peppermint schnapps
1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
1 square (1 oz.) semisweet chocolate, grated

1. Place rack in the center of the over and preheat oven to 325F. Set aside an ungreased 10" tube pan.

2. Place the cake mix, water, peppermint schnapps, and peppermint extract in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 1 minute more, scraping down the sides again if needed. The batter should look well blended. Fold in the grated chocolate until well distributed. Pour the batter into the prepared (it's actually unprepared, but whatever!) pan, smoothing out the top with the rubber spatula. Place the pan in the oven.

2. Bake the cake until it is light brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and immediately turn it upside down over the neck of a glass bottle to cool for 1 hour. Remove the pan from the bottle. Run a long sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it onto a rack, then invert it again onto a serving platter so that it is right side up. Slice and serve.

Store this cake, covered in plastic wrap, at room temperature for up to 1 week. Or freeze it, wrapped in aluminum foil, up to 6 months. Thaw the cake in the refrigerator before serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%