Freezing Cakes

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 12:36am by kandu001

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 5

Freezing cakes isnt something i want to do all the time but i have a bit of a nightmare next week and was thinking about making a two tier chocolate sponge and freezing it from saturday til thursday morning and then icing it on thursday evening as i need it to be fresh for friday and saturday. is there much taste and texture impairment from freezing? how is it done - do i wrap each layer of sponge in plastic wrap and then foil and freeze it? what about defrosting - do i unwrap before or after it has defrosted?

Thanks in advance, i may just have a really really late night and do it all on thursday night when i get home from my course at 9pm but it would be so much easier to freeze it just this once!

Also - if i made the sponge on wednesday night and wrapped it in plastic would it still be soft on saturday if it was coated in buttercream and iced in fondant on thursday night?

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I don't freeze cakes all the time. But when I get busy I do. And I have to say that there won't be any changes in the texture or the taste. It'll be like a freshly baked cakes.

I let the cakes cool completely and then wrap it in saran wrap, then foil and then put it in a freezer bag. But some wrap the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven too! When I thaw the cake I just put it in the fridge with the wraping and some just leave it on the counter. These all depends on what works for you.

And yes, it would be fine to make the cake on wednesday, wrap it properly then crumbcoat and cover it with fondant on thursday.

HTH.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks, i have a couple of days to make up my mind. good to have a couple of options!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 5

. . . this has been debated in the past . . . MANY bakers actually freeze their cakes "on purpose" . . . http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-240821-freezing.html . . . HTH

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 12:36am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for sharing! I was just wondering how I was going to handle the 5 cakes I have coming up. Now I think I will try freezing to save myself time (and sanity) so I can focus on decorating! They're just for family and friends, so I can test to see if I like how the come out after being frozen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%